586,375 active members*
3,468 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

First Turned Parts on SlantPro

I've been working through some new profiles and learning the machine control. I have Sprut and Tormach was kind enough to give me a preview post so I could make some more complex parts. So far I have 4 or 5 part profiles CAM'd up with various drill, tap, external threads. I am in the middle of fabricating my parting tool holder so I'm not running very automated yet.

The guys at Tormach have been great in helping me through some of the teething problems. Most have been easy fixes. I'm using the 5C manual closer and making extremely accurate shapes. I will post some images later.

Re: First Turned Parts on SlantPro

Nice!
    I guess by your note tormach is still working on the sprutcam post?
    Would enjoy seeing and reading more!
    md

How accurate and reproducible are the dimensions for the parts you've made so far? How do you like the 5C closer?

It's very good to hear that Tormach is working on a SprutCAM post. Do you know if they are working on a machine definition, like they've done for the 1100 mill? It was pretty neat the way they incorporated the rotary table and vertical/horizontal auxiliary spindles into that.

Mike

After going out and buying bolts and I got my collet closer installed. How much does your handle vibrate when the machine is running and is a little vibration normal?

It vibrates a bit. I guess the most critical part is dialing in the flange plate on the pulley adapter. They told me to get it within a thou. I'm still at .01tir because of the 3 bolt system. It is not as straight forward as 4 since it twists when you tap it. This is a JKF issue I suppose. It can be done, just takes a bit of time.

It took me about 15 minutes of tapping on it to get it within .001. It would have been nice if they had designed it so there was a precision machined section to align it all on the back of the spindle. I went down to lowes and got a pin to replace the bolt so I can remove the closer easily.

Here is my new custom coolant setup for my gang. Needless to say, broken drill bits will ensue without a feed of coolant. I will eventually valve all of them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140605_201335.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	239008

Here are some of the parts I'm producing. I've run 50 of these so far on the lathe/mill. I blank them on the lathe and finish up the ports/flats on the comp in my 1100. I'm haven't gotten the rigid tapping figured out yet. I don't have a spiral fluted m9x.75 tap, and Sprut does not post rigid tapping yet. That's the only had operation.

Name:	20140607_074642.jpg 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	239126

Nice!
    Do you save results from sprut lathe operations and use that as work piece for mill operations in sprut?
    md

No, the mill program was written a couple years ago. I just don't in the shank area so it's no different than when I blanked them manually.

Muzzle brake?

Looks nice, did you anodize of electroplate them?

Yes, we make accessories for the GSG 1911-22 pistols. We actually use Norrells Moly Resin. Quick than anodize and holds up great!

Quote Originally Posted by menzzer37 View Post
    Here is my new custom coolant setup for my gang. Needless to say, broken drill bits will ensue without a feed of coolant. I will eventually valve all of them.
    Through-the-tool coolant would be great for deep drilling and boring. Would that be possible to do with the Tormach gang tooling?

Mike

Another part. Cranking out thread adapters in low carbon steel. Would love to have the bar puller running!

Name:	20140608_215142.jpg 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	239210

And that is specifically why I bought the Tormach. It has room for a bar puller. I will let you know how all that works out.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by compunerdy View Post
    It took me about 15 minutes of tapping on it to get it within .001. It would have been nice if they had designed it so there was a precision machined section to align it all on the back of the spindle. I went down to lowes and got a pin to replace the bolt so I can remove the closer easily.
    You have a lathe now, make a precision alignment tool.
    Similar to a clutch alignment tool. I think the outer ring that needs aligned is just a bit larger than the inner one on the spindle. Problem is that you need it aligned before you can turn the alignment tool. Maybe Tormach could offer an installation accessory tool?

I actually looked at this yesterday and the outer ring is just a bit smaller than the spindle opening. So with the chuck installed, one could possibly grind that part out a little bigger. I would like to see that setup.
    Lee