586,497 active members*
2,726 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Removing and storing the vise

I'd like to make up something to lift my vise off the table when I need to work on the 4th axis or table itself.
    On the bridgeport, I had a arm that swung in, you clamped the end in the vise and then lowered the table and swung the vise aside.

I was thinking of either the same type of system but with a shaft threaded through the end that I could thread down, clamp onto something on the end of the shaft (free to spin) and then thread it up a few turns to lift the vise off the table and then pivot it away to the side .

OR

Could something be checked into the 3/4 collet, raise the z-axis and pivot a plate attached to the arm under the vise, lower the vise onto the plate, release and pivot the plate w/vise away, this suddenly seems more complicated than the threaded end on a arm.

Anyone have some system they're happy with? My kurt seems to get heavier every year

Re: Removing and storing the vise

Mooser

For cost & simplicity I choose what sounds like the same solution you used on the Bridgeport.
    The link below shows 2 short videos and a few pictures of a simpe hoist system.
    Since the videos were done, I have switched to a smaller 220# dual line hoist, which halves the speed and reduces the jerkiness.
    I also intend to replace the vertical tube with a 2" thick wall, to reduce the flex.
    The vices and 4th axis are stored on a wheeled dolly under the machines right wing.

I wouldn't feel comfortable using the Z axis due to the weight and imbalance it would cause.

My back thanks me every day.

John

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/novako...ack-saver.html

A Tormach 8" rotary table with 5C chuck and Kurt D688 vise are swapped out on my Tormach 1100 on a regular basis. Both vise and RT are relatively heavy items, however I don't use any kind of mechanical lift. I built a shelf the same height as the mill table on the wall behind. With the self I only have to lift the vise or RT just enough to clear the table, turn and place on the shelf with no bending.

At age 61 the Kurt vise and Tormach RT with 5C chuck are actually feeling lighter to lift. That's because I have joined a gym and go there three times a week for strength training with aerobic/cardio workout. In addition to being able to lift and manage my machine tool accessories there are added benefits, such as lower resting heart rate of 56 beats a minute, and added endurance and stamina for activities out of the shop... nudge nudge. I highly recommend the 4-Hour Body by Timothy Ferriss The 4-Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat-Loss, Incredible Sex, and Becoming Superhuman: Timothy Ferriss: 9780307463630: Amazon.com: Books

Don Clement

Quote Originally Posted by Don Clement View Post
    At age 61 ...... such as lower resting heart rate of 56 beats a minute
    Don Clement
    In your dreams.:violin:

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    In your dreams.:violin:

Phil
    Phil,

Hardly a dream but the measured value I took last week along with comfortably low systolic and diastolic pressures. The gym works for me. YMMV

Don Clement

A few trips to the gym probably wouldn't hurt most of us, but for me, 2 ruptured discs and one collapsed one means I need to find someway of moving them without reaching out and lifting, as well as doing any kind of rotation while holding that pig (I know it's only a kurt 675 but still) at the wrong height.

I think I've got a plan put together for a arm with a short jack screw at the end that should do perfectly for getting the vise out, just need to scheme some ??? to grab the forth axis with the same unit
    Thanks for the ideas
    M