586,485 active members*
2,511 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Camworks

Page 1 of 4 123

Camworks

Does anybody here have any experience with CAMworks?

I'll be getting a demo in a bit, I just wanted some user experiences with the software.

Can y'all help me out? :cheers:
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

Let us know what you think of it when your done testing.
    CamWorks interfaces with Solidworks and should be a interesting combination as a Cad/Cam System.
    Sorry but I have more questions than answers, capabilitys/price.

Please do keep us posted. An integrated Cam solution which is imbedded into SolidWorks would be great! One thing that seem's to be hit and miss w/ Cam software is if it does the 5 axis tool kinematic's or not. This is all dependant on the tool length and pivot point locations etc.. MACH 3 doesn't do these calculations, but if CAMworks can do them right in its program.. it would be a big bonus. The complete machine simulation looks interesting!

Let us know what you find out

Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Demo

I've been trying to ge a functioning demo from my local reseller.

It's been a long process, and I've pretty much given up. I've got some feedback from a few camworks users, who've said don't go there. choose something else. One has mentioned OneCNC. I've checked out the webpage, and talked to their people, and I've arranged to see a demo over the internet. I'll be providing a part only a few minutes before the actual demo, and get a good look into this particular package, which has quite an attractive price to boot. (nuts)
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

If you are looking for another integrated CAM package for SolidWorks, there is also SolidCAM

www.solidcam.com

They support full 5axis with simulation and have more capabilities than Camworks.

There is a demo to download, but doesnt allow posting of g-code

Mike

We have a 5 axis license for Cam Works. Our designs are made in Solidworks. The beauty of Camworks is when you make a minor change to the model you just click Rebuild and the tool paths are updated as well. Most stand alone CAM software packages will not do this. We work on very complex 3D parts and Camworks has worked very well for us.

My only complaint would be that it has been very difficult to find support from the reseller when we had a technical question. Our programming is beyond the capabilities of the average tech support person on the end of the phone. For most applications they would be very helpful I'm sure.

It's rather expensive, we paid over 15K for the 5 axis package but it was one of the best full 5 axis packages on the market.

One other thing. If you are going to do 3D programming you need to get the fastest computer with the best video card, the most RAM, the fastest dual core or dual processor. Camworks needs ALOT of processor power. It's not unusual to wait 5 minutes to generate tool paths and we have the latest and greatest computer available.

Bigsmac, is your 5 axis simultaneous? I've been evaluating which CAM to get, I'd like a simultaneous CAM which does the full 5 axis w/out having to set up work planes and what not.. I'd like it as automated as possible. ie; set the tool so that it is not leading or lagging and is w/in 20deg of perpendicular to the surface at all times.. and then just let it rip.. It also needs to do all the kinematic offsets by knowing your machine geometry [ rotational offsets] and tool lengths from the collet etc.. [most likely from a hard tool library]

Can CAMworks do all this? Is your programing time so long because of the nature of the model, or because of the path density [ # of lines of code] or..?

So for a model which takes 5 minutes to create the code, how many lines of code would this be?

Thanks for taking the time to mention your experiances w/ the software!

Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Yes Camworks will do all this. There are many options in Camworks that allow for everything you mentioned and more.

Our code is rather long, the file size of G code is typically over 2M. There are typically many tool paths as we finish with a .015 step over to get a smooth finish.

Simultanious 5 axis isn't as easy as Camworks would like you to believe. You don't have to set up work planes, etc. Just set the part up in Solidworks with the point of rotation of the A and C axis and Camworks will calculate the rest. We had problems with Camworks in that it would want to rotate the A axis 40 degrees negative. We only have 30 degrees negative and 110 positive in our machine. So Camworks needs to rotate the A 40 positve and do a 180 on the C to accomplish the same thing.

Again the problem is you are not going to get much support from some of the Camworks resellers when it come to complex 3 or 5 axis programming. Support is from the reseller, not Teksoft (the manufacturer of Camworks), so support is going to be dependent on your reseller's 5 axis experience.

The problem is when you make a minor change in Camworks, ie. stepover, and regenerate the tool paths it may take a few minutes. Doing this 50 times a day and running simulations after each change can eat up an entire day and most of the time is waiting for the tool paths to regenerate. This is not the case with simple projects or 2.5 axis programs, only complex with lots of tool paths, etc.

Hope this helps. We also looked at Mastercam and felt Camworks was superior for what we wanted to do.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryFlyGuy
    Bigsmac, is your 5 axis simultaneous? I've been evaluating which CAM to get, I'd like a simultaneous CAM which does the full 5 axis w/out having to set up work planes and what not.. I'd like it as automated as possible. ie; set the tool so that it is not leading or lagging and is w/in 20deg of perpendicular to the surface at all times.. and then just let it rip.. It also needs to do all the kinematic offsets by knowing your machine geometry [ rotational offsets] and tool lengths from the collet etc.. [most likely from a hard tool library]

Can CAMworks do all this? Is your programing time so long because of the nature of the model, or because of the path density [ # of lines of code] or..?

So for a model which takes 5 minutes to create the code, how many lines of code would this be?

Thanks for taking the time to mention your experiances w/ the software!

Jerry

Thanks Bigsmac!
    Lately I've been playing around w/ SolidCam, but haven't got really far into it. I downloaded the demo off the website. It's taken a bit to get it working w/ SW but all seem's ok now. Anyway, I really don't need all the fancy functions of this type of software. I'm only doing mold machineing out of foam and wood. I need the ability to do extremely steep/deep wall milling. One thing that is a bit different w/ my setup [from yours anyway] is that my B & C axis are on the Z axis post. I will have 360+ rotation and about +/-100 on the other. This will enable me to use shorter tooling and still mill on something that is 2-3ft thick. [hopefully anyway] You can see where being able to just pick a perpendicular milling w/ a parallel ruffing pass and then a z level finish should work very well w/ the simultaneous control.

I also demo'd FeatureCAM and was really impressed w/ it. Apparently they are working on a Gold partner agreement w/ SolidWorks [ or so the rumor mill claims] and a simultaneous 5 axis at the same time. If this goes through.. I think it will be my first choice. Their AFR function in 3 axis [ Auto-Feature-Recognition] literally did all the programming for the operator, did a 50k code set in 10 second's w/ all the needed tool changes to get the finish they wanted etc.. pretty impressive. Oh.. and it was about 5 mouse clicks to do it all. I was impressed anyway, but I'm not real up on my CAM so maybe others are this easy as well?

Anyway, I'm a ways from needing it, but soon the decision is going to need to be made.

Thanks!
    Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy

Has anyone heard what a 3 axis milling package will coist? roughly?
    Thanks

Little question,

Quote Originally Posted by bigsmac View Post
    We have a 5 axis license for Cam Works. Our designs are made in Solidworks. The beauty of Camworks is when you make a minor change to the model you just click Rebuild and the tool paths are updated as well. Most stand alone CAM software packages will not do this. We work on very complex 3D parts and Camworks has worked very well for us.

My only complaint would be that it has been very difficult to find support from the reseller when we had a technical question. Our programming is beyond the capabilities of the average tech support person on the end of the phone. For most applications they would be very helpful I'm sure.

It's rather expensive, we paid over 15K for the 5 axis package but it was one of the best full 5 axis packages on the market.

First thing to your quote... If you need support about CAMWorks 5x try to rech Robert Hutter from TekSoft (he deals with tech support)... he is nr1 in teksoft about using 5x... you can find his data on the teksoft website...
    Do you happen to have any information, examples of 5x in CAMWorks...It is true that it is really hard to find any examples or even any tutorials...Your help would be vital for me...Thanks for any help

Edgecam will also maintain associativity to the solid model and automatically update when changes are made. The advantage to Edgecam is that it can do this with SolidWorks, Inventor and other major Solid modeliers. They als have excellent 5 axis and multiaxis lathe capabilities.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

Mike does EdgeCAM run inside SW? Can anyone tell me if CamWorks does?

Curious..

Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy

Jerry,
    Camworks operates within solidworks. When you start Solidworks Camworks opens as well. The buttons to control Camworks are on the top just like the Solidoworks buttons are.

iti2, Thanks for the information. I'm sure I will need the assistance some day. I don't know why my reseller didn't give me that information? Are you looking for model files of objects to cut in 5 axis? Or are you looking for a model that has been programmed in 5x so you can see the history tree?

Matt

Edgecam is a stand alone product. You can launch Edgecam from directly within SolidWorks and open the part file. But most shops I'm in, the engineer has the Sworks and the NC Programmer has the Cam package. If you have enough licenses the NC Programmer can use the SWorks also, but in most cases he only uses it to look at the part. Not to modify it.

Edgecam will detect changes made to the model immediately. What else matters.

I see a stand alone product as a benefit and here's why...
    ===========
    If you change Cad/Design software, you are not forced to change Cam/NC Programming software. The Cam package might be doing a great job.

Edgecam is Cad neutral. It doesn't need any Cad program, but it's extremly well integrated with all of them.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More

Hello MAtt

thanks for answear, Parts for 5axis I do have, but the problem is that I do not no how to go through the CAMworks options to machine them, I have the multiaxis tutorial that is delivered with CAMWorks package but it is really nothing...there are only simple examples.. nothing that impreses... If you have any to spare I would be thankful.

regards
    iti2

in addition to EdgeCAM debate :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mattera View Post
    Edgecam is a stand alone product. You can launch Edgecam from directly within SolidWorks and open the part file. But most shops I'm in, the engineer has the Sworks and the NC Programmer has the Cam package. If you have enough licenses the NC Programmer can use the SWorks also, but in most cases he only uses it to look at the part. Not to modify it.

Edgecam will detect changes made to the model immediately. What else matters.

I see a stand alone product as a benefit and here's why...
    ===========
    If you change Cad/Design software, you are not forced to change Cam/NC Programming software. The Cam package might be doing a great job.

Edgecam is Cad neutral. It doesn't need any Cad program, but it's extremly well integrated with all of them.

Mike Mattera
    Hello Mike and others

To EdgeCAM... it is true about it that it can recognize changes in a part... but from my experience that is not enough... In CAMworks great thing is that I can use SW during creating technology:
    -planes, sketches - are vital during definning some of the 2,5x features... or cutting across curve etc...
    -abillity to save CAM data in SW templates is also benefitial...

Last thing about EdgeCAM, there was said that it is compatibile with Inventor and other cads... well CAMWorks also - thanks to SW it can read the largest number of CAD data format (even cloud of pionts, mesh etc - 2007)...I do not know how it is with recognizing changes but still for moulding (forging) tools in SW are great advantage...repairing imported files is sometimes only possible in SW - but maybe it is becouse I know SW well, btw my friend has bought SW and CAM and he was concerning EdgeCAM and SolidEdge...he found it easier in SW...he makes parts for cars (tuning)

regards
    iti2

Mike, thanks for the reply! I can see your point about edgeCAM being a stand along product, depending on the design software you use this could be a good thing. Having said that however, its doubtfull that we'll change CAD programs.. Where would we go? If we were to move it wouldn't be anywhere accept maybe Catia.. and that ain't happening fo' a lon' time... I don't really see any negative's to having an integrated CAM system, at least not in our small shop. I do all the design, I know what is critical.. I do all the CAM work as well.. so.. maybe my situation is a bit different than others. Having the CAM intergrated w/ SW has its up-sides as well.. You get access to SW features not just the model. Alot of CAM program's won't read in the hole features, they know the model has changed.. but not where its changed.. most mated CAM's [ that are in SW] know which feature has changed and only update toolpaths that need updating, instead of all of them. I'm no expert when it comes to CAM, but I do believe in an intergrated package.

Still shoping...

Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy

"its doubtfull that we'll change CAD programs."

That's what all the Autocad users said 10-12 years ago. Some of them were using a product call NC Polaris. Cad - Cam - NC Controls..... It all keeps changing.

In most companies the Design & NC Programming are usually done by different people.

Mike Mattera

Page 1 of 4 123