587,072 active members*
3,073 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Center Alignment with Mastercam -> Create -> Letters
Page 1 of 2 12

Center Alignment with Mastercam -> Create -> Letters

Is there a way to

Re: Center Alignment with Mastercam -> Create -> Letters

I am sorry there is no easy way of doing this at this time.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

[QUOTE=mikefalkner;1490142]Is there a way to

Shovelhead that is the only way I know to.even. but if it were something you engraved into allot of parts the same info then create a text file the way you want it and that will layout how you want.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Hmmm got me , I always just space them around till it looks right , never even thought of using a word processor ... .. guess I am kinda simple minded that way.

Not even Mark, I just try out things as I get students asking me what about this or what about doing something like this. So if I don't know of an easy way I will try and figure out another way. there is usally not one way to do it.
    Have a good day. of to do some one on one training .
    Cadcam

Have a great one yourself ... and ... I am one of these pesky pre-engineering students

I want to thank Shovelhead and CadCam for your replies. You made my job easier.

SOLUTION #1
    I had tried using spaces to align the text, but it never aligned properly. Shovelhead's idea of using dashes to properly space (or center) the text is OUTSTANDING!! I will use this for quick 'create text' operations in Mastercam, especially with one-of-a-kind quick operations.

SOLUTION #2
    The other solution submitted by CadCam was to incorporate the text in the CAD file before loading in Mastercam. That worked even better, but it does require going back to the CAD file to insert new text every time a new order is received (every new order has a simple custom text added). But it is the easiest way if many parts are being cut with the same text (which is not our case).

I love both solutions. Many thanks.

Mike

I create a bounding box around each name bigger so the vertical space between is half what i need then in the end then translate between mid points to line up each box with the one above delete the boxes after.

Have any of you tried Xform Drag to move them were you want? I forgot I used this one for years.
    Cadcam

Drag works fine. The box is more precise for me when I need it.

Wink Re: Center Alignment with Mastercam -> Create -> Letters

Quote Originally Posted by mikefalkner View Post
    Is there a way to “center” letters created in Mastercam? I create multiple lines of text and would like to center them, just like using “center paragraph” in a word processor.

Mastercam aligns paragraphs to the “left”, as showed below.

Amanda T.
    Edwards
    Feb 4, 2014
    7 lb, 6 oz
    21 inch

What I want is to align the paragraph to the “center”, as shown below.

Amanda T.
    Edwards
    Feb 4, 2014
    7 lb, 6 oz
    21 inch

The current procedure I am using is clicking on “Create” in the top menu, selecting “Letters” in the sub-menu, selecting “Drafting (Current) Font”, then clicking “Drafting Options” button, and finally clicking “Center” under Alignment Horizontal. However, this does not produce a centered paragraph as desired.

What am I doing wrong, or how do I get what I want?

Thanks,
    Mike

There is an easy way really, draw a vertical line thru the center of your part, now draw a horizontal line thru your text from left most point to right most point of text.
    Now xform, translate, window, midpoint of horizontal line to intersect of vertical line and horizontal line.

Easy peazy...Enjoy...a year later you got the answer lol.

If you use the Dynamic Xform as drag has been removed for Mastercam as of X8 and is replaced by Dynamic Xform. with this option you can reflect of existing geo easily to move it live and get the results without in most cases to not have to create new geo to do so.
    Cadcam

Why does everyone do it the hard way

If you use the Create Note .......This has the ability to align ONE line of text ...... Left / Centre / Right...&....Top / Middle / Base
    in any of mastercam's fonts....or any other True Fonts loaded on your PC
    - any adjustments to size, style, spacing, etc....MUST be done at this stage

This is classed as a DIMENSION, and is NOT selectable to be machined................yet
    - only after you are satisfied with size, style.. blah blah........should you go to the next step..........you cannot change it back to a dimension for alteration

To Make a Dimension Machineable

- You have to "explode" it be Lines & Arcs ( & Splines)........
    - go Edit (pull-down) --> Trim / Break --> Break into Lines & Arcs

The feature that was a dim, can now be used for machining

A spline does to tend to give point-to-point code. They also can be turned to arcs ( if within a tolerance band that you can set )
    - use the "Break into Many Pieces" ....and set the default option of lines to be arcs......(check and set the other options).......the crosses on-screen show the break points before you accept the result
    - when posting, the "filter" (if set) will blend some segments to further condense your NC file

Superman,
    I am sorry but you are off in so many ways.

As Create drafting Note do's not work the the way you say, As the controls you speak of by default are under create Letters. but you can use the control options under Drafting note by going to the Properties button in the lower left hand corner. Now set for "Alignment Horizontal" to Center.
    Then "Path" to down.

this will create a centered letters as a note.

but as you stated you cannot tool path them so you need to go to "Edit" , Trim/Break , Break Drafting in to lines and select the drafting note . this will brake into wire geo to tool path.
    Cadcam

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    Superman,
    I am sorry but you are off in so many ways.

As Create drafting Note do's not work the the way you say, As the controls you speak of by default are under create Letters. but you can use the control options under Drafting note by going to the Properties button in the lower left hand corner. Now set for "Alignment Horizontal" to Center.
    Then "Path" to down.

this will create a centered letters as a note.

but as you stated you cannot tool path them so you need to go to "Edit" , Trim/Break , Break Drafting in to lines and select the drafting note . this will brake into wire geo to tool path.
    Jay

I'm not sure what you mean "off in so many ways"

The controls are identical for "letters" as it is to "drafting notes"
    The ADDED benefit is....being able to manipulate the line of font BEFORE changing to wireframe ( ie font style, letter height/width, spacing, kerf )
    - nobody wants to place wireframe LETTERS, and not be able to "adjust" it to get "the right look", unless they undo / redo multiple times.

Superman,
    Sorry to say incorrect on how it works. you are one if not the top guy here about Mastercam but the procedure you are giving and stating is incorrect. as I layed out the correct procedure to do it.

Also this statement of (The controls are identical for "letters" as it is to "drafting notes") is not true . go thru them both they are not Identical as when you do it. also when you do Note you need to set Path as that is not and option under create letters.

Sir I really am not trying to dis respect you, as I truthfuly be told I do respect you as a person and your knowledge of Mastercam. but when the a procedure is in correctly layed out I have to say something. please look and let me know if you still feel your way was correct.
    Cadcam

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post

Also this statement of (The controls are identical for "letters" as it is to "drafting notes") is not true . go thru them both they are not Identical as when you do it. also when you do Note you need to set Path as that is not and option under create letters.

Sir I really am not trying to dis respect you, as I truthfuly be told I do respect you as a person and your knowledge of Mastercam. but when the a procedure is in correctly layed out I have to say something. please look and let me know if you still feel your way was correct.
    Jay
    My way may not be correct, it is just an alternative method that suits most of the "linear" label engraving that require machining. ( I was just unsure what you meant by "off ...", no offense taken )

Just checked out X8 at work today.....maybe our terminology is different between us
    the controls ( the parameter settings/options on how the letters appear when as a "drafting entity ie size factors, height, spacing, base point, etc ) is common to both

"Drafting Note"
    - you get the ability to use lowercase letters ( unless you install the additional mcam "add-on" tools, or use a "True Font" ).
    - each Note is one single entity until it is "exploded".
    - just by placing any justified text at the correct positions, then go back to adjust the text in specific lines,
    - this is further enhanced by being able to modify your font properties ( the actual text, style, size, spacings, etc) before "Converting Drafting into Lines"

"Letters"
    - letter height , spacing is accessible in the dialog box.....other settings must be pre-defined before doing "Letters"
    - Lowercase get turned into uppercase.....unless the "Add-on" is installed
    - you are able to place that letter string (as wireframe entities ) onto an entity, arc etc
    - if not happy with the appearance, you have to undo/redo a few times, maybe even Xform it to the correct placing.

Hi All

AEL-Technology creates good quality tutorials of various CAD/CAM/CAE Softwares .This video is exclusevily for creating text. Please visit our youtube channel .
    If you like those videos please subscribe
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q4JSyLhxzc
    For www.aeltechnology.com
    Sumith Karun

Wow major spam, plastered all over.

Page 1 of 2 12