586,913 active members*
2,931 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Some advice on the 1100 Shopping List please!

Question Some advice on the 1100 Shopping List please!

Hi all,

Just putting the finishing touches to the 1100 list i hope to order in the next couple of weeks but would like some advice on the following... I did try and search previous posts about this stuff but didn't find exactly what i was looking for.

1 Vise - I would like the ability to mount the vise on its side so that rules out things like the D688, Tormachs 5" machinists etc, which leaves me with a couple of options and I'm leaning towards the GPV615

Glacern GPV-615 looks a good vise, great feedback on it but I'm a little worried about a potential loss in the Y-Axis envelope
    Tormach 5" CNC well suited to the Machine... i just really don't like the rear jaw not being a solid part of the vice body.. repeatability issues? Also small Max opening
    Kurt 3600v Expensive and maybe a little long? I haven't seen many people using these with this mill

2 Machine Arm - Do many people bother with this option? I'm thinking it might be better to sit the Monitor and keyboard and a separate desk or bench beside the machine

3 4th Axis - I think I've decided that the 6" Fixed will do for most stuff i think i will ever make. I'm not going for an ATC right now but i might want that option in the future which will probably
    be happier with the 6" option. Am i being foolish in not going for an 8" table? Also the tilting tables look like they will eat too much of the main table space up to be a good option. Any advise would be welcome.

4 Air turbine Spindle - This is the interesting one. I will be using some very small KT carbide cutters down to about 12 thou. I have decided that the 602xjs Spindle from Air Turbine Tools at 50k will be
    the best fit for what i need. I emailed both companies about this and got zero response from ATT and a sort of admission that Tormach were looking into this sort of solution but
    no real "help". The official line was its a 3rd part addition so they couldn't comment. I see it as just another piece of live tooling. I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who
    has tried this setup? At the moment It comes with a 3/4 x 2" straight shank so it would need a regular R8 collet rather than TTS. Having said that, the side loading would be so
    small, i can't see a problem with shortening the shank down and fitting a TTS adapter kit to it.... I'm guessing no ones done this yet? Im a bit reluctant to start cutting up a $3000
    spindle!

5 Tool setter - I haven't found any information on Tormachs ETS for minimum Tool diameter, just 480g trigger force. Im thinking that will be a little high for some of the small cutters i want to use. The Blum Pico-Z looks like the right fit but i found no information on prices so I'm guessing its way too much for me to afford and probably overkill. Hexagon Metrology also sell one for about $1300 and spec says down to 0.1mm and a trigger force of 2.2N. Thats 220g of force for a 0.1mm cutter... extrapolating out, maybe the Tormach ETS would work on a 0.3mm cutter???
    The other option is to not bother with an electronic tool setter and set it using a height gauge off the machine, but that means i would have to convert the Air spindle to TTS and cut it down for repeatable loading in Z. Any other ideas that or advice would again be welcome.

6 3"shell Mill - I already have an Iscar HOF D3.00-5-1.00-R07 and a bunch of inserts on an R8 arbor. I'd like to reuse it if i can but I'm worried it might be asking too much of the Tormach in terms for spindle power and rigidity. I have seen that its possible to buy a 1" x 3/4 straight shank arbor from shars and cut it down to fit the TTS. Would it be possible to use with light cuts or would it be better to sell it and get the superfly instead? Again, any advice would be welcome.

thanks in advance for any help guys!

Re: Some advice on the 1100 Shopping List please!

Welcome to the forum. In response to your questions:
    1. I have the Glacern 615 vise. The loss of Y-axis envelope has not been an issue for me. Any large parts will be done without a vise or mounting the jaws on the outside. The vise is short enough that you can still use the chip guard if you widen the mounting slots to shift it 3/8" or so.

2. I use a small rollaway tool box as my monitor/keyboard stand. Also holds all the tools, cutters, collets, etc...

3. Don't have a 4th axis but I would look at the new 8" that mounts on the right side or the tilting 8". A lift cart would be necessary for the 8" tilting since it is so heavy.

4. I just bought the Kress for engraving and small tool work. I like that I can also do horizontal work with it. Air spindle may be better for what your doing. Let us know how it works out.

5. I use the Passive Probe as a tool setter. Made an aluminum pad that replaces the stylus and a base to hold it. If you need a lower activation force you could swap in a lighter spring.

6. I would use the shell mill if you already have it. You could remove all but one insert and it would perform like the superfly, but more rigid.

6 - Are you going to be cutting aluminum? If so I think you should give the one you have a try before buying the SuperFly. If you find that it isn't working you can just remove all but one insert and you'll be left with the equivalent of the SuperFly, except yours will be better balanced. I have my SuperFly adjusted to just over 3" in diameter.

4 - That spindle looks cool!
    I kinda doubt you'll need to cut the shank down. The shanks on my TTS tools are ~1-3/8" long (including the taper). The press fit TTS adapter looks like it might be about 1/2" by itself so you'll probably only have about 1-1/2" left anyway. On the other hand, cutting it probably wouldn't be a big deal and it would probably be possible to get a replacement shank from the spindle company if you needed to.

Ditto or what IMT said
    1Tormach machinist vise, I like it enough I would buy a machine vise of same. My unit is very accurate and with keys you can pull and reset at will with no need to indicate it in.
    2.Rollaway tool box for precision tools, tts system, controller, keyboard and lcd.
    2.Rollaway tool box for fixtures plates, vise, t-slot clamps, collets, stops and future 4th axis and chucks.
    3.No 4th axis yet. I will most likely buy a 6" super spacer. mostly because of weight. 8" units are heavy and you can always space the 6 off the table more if needed.
    4.No high speed tools here yet. I will be watching what your doing to learn more.
    5.I use the tts height gauge system and a hamier xyz taster most the time for direct indicating and some wobblers for small thin edges.
    6.I have no Idea about shell mill

Good luck with all your new tools
    Looking forward to seeing some action
    md

After reading H's post above, that's a great idea and you could even use 1 cutter and 1 wiper right?

Thanks for the welcome & responses! been lurking for a while doing the research

IMT - i assume you are referring to the "super spacer" as the Table for the R/H side? Whats the deal with this? I assume i would need to source a 4 Jaw from else where for it, it doesn't look the rest of the regular accessories fit this table? Can the Super Spacer be mounted horizontally as a C axis? Its also a significant amount more for the integration kit, even with the 3 Jaw included.

Interestingly, on page 21 of the 4th axis operators manual, there is a photo of the one of the regular non tilting tables fitted to the right hand end of the machine... I just assumed there would be interference problems with the stepper and the either the column or control box. I guess its time to ask Tormach support a few more questions!

Hirudin - I will defiantly keep you posted on the spindle. I have seen others interested in a High speed solution that is Co-axial to the main spindle and I'm surprised its not been tried before. The Speeder is probably a good intermediate option upto 15k but its not what i needed. Ive done some other tests with the Proxxon set up and a Dewalt 611 / think & Tinker collet and it was still painfully slow feed rates and machining times. Although the bridgeport was still on lead screws and it wasn't a fair comparison. I initially wanted to go for the 625JS turbine but a working Air consumption of 20 CFM was pushing it for the size compressor i could afford and the available power supply.

I'm sure ill have a few more questions before the list is finalized and ill probably post the complete thing for a sanity check at some point. Thanks again for the input and support!

Attachment 237136

Attachment 237138

I use a 2.5" face mill often on my 1100, I think the 3" would be OK for facing stock etc.
    mike sr

Attachment 237166Attachment 237164Attachment 237162I have 2, 1100 series 3 Tormachs, Megan I and Megan II. 2 years apart. The first I got the basic mill and kept adding, the second got it load with almost everything.
    Really does not make a difference. The enclosures I built for each mill sets them apart though. The second got a big roomy enclosure with everything you can dream
    of added in, the first was just fast and low cost. Both work great for the jobs I run. What I did learn is get what you "need" now, you can always get what you "want" later.