Im seriously considering replacing some '82 model Mazak H-15 dual pallet indexing machines with some late '90s model Haas HS-1's.

The plus side is the the newer machines will change tools faster, change pallets faster, are dramatically much simpler to operate and program for average skill level operators, and certainly be much less maintenance to keep them up and running. Obviously a 15 year old machine will require some maintenance but brushless servos and not running all mechanical actuators on hydraulics would be a major improvement.

The H-15's were way past their prime 10 years ago and the loss of production due to maintenance and requiring a higher skilled operator to recover the machine from a typical hiccup has become a major headache. Its time to put them out to pasture.

So my question is if anyone has any experience with late '90s Haas dual pallet indexer machines, what are the common problems with these machines. Do the pallet changers work on pneumatic actuators or from hydraulic actuators? A CNC repair man i trust told me once that they had lots of problems with the Haas horizontals but i have been extremely pleased with their verticals. We have been buying their verticals since the mid '90s and they are all still rigid and running daily.