586,385 active members*
3,496 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

G50 - 3 different meanings?

Hi all,

I've recently come into a job where I am in the process of learning more about CNC turning. I consider myself to be very good on Heidenhain (milling), but I am still getting up to speed with Fanuc programming.

My question is:

G50 - what does it do in simple terms?

I have 3 different books that all tell me a different meaning - very confusing to say the least and a google of G50 confuses me further. The first book says G50 is to set a maximum spindle speed for the chuck, the second "scaling cancel/mirror image cancel/zero management/max speed limit" and the third book saying "position register command".

Your help would be very much appreciated.

Patrick

Re: G50 - 3 different meanings?

poc_uk

It just depends how the control you have, on your machine was configured to use it, G50 was a standard Fanuc code, on a lathe it was used for Max spindle speed, or for programming of absolute zero point

You would have to try it on your machine to see how it has been configured/used, For a Mill it has a different use, scaling ( off/cancel ) being one
    Mactec54

Re: G50 - 3 different meanings?

it can depend on the machine, especially the age of it and the Fanuc control model.
    since you asked about turning specifically here are some examples.....

1) G50 X123.456 Z123.456 S500
    This is mainly used on Fanuc 6T and sets the current X Z position to X123.456 Z123.456 and sets the maximum RPM to 500

2) G50 S500
    For machines with geometry offsets and workshifts, this sets the maximum RPM to 500. The X Z is not needed and is omitted. This is used on Fanuc 10T and all newer Fanuc controls.