I stuck the quill on my Hurco mill a few weeks ago. When I tore it apart I decided it was not easily repairable, so I started building a new linear slide Z-axis for it with a high speed spindle (I do a lot of 3D work in aluminum). Anyway, I started realizing how dependent I had become on the heavy cutting ability of the machine. At the same time my Taig controll developed a glitch. I've been reduced to using my CNC wood router to make parts.

In the mean time I arranged financing on a Charter Oak TurnKey CNC Mill. I got notice the truck line picked it up from Charter Oak yesterday.

I'll document my experiences here in this thread.

Paul has been very helpful so far before the sale. He has answered all my questions.

I did have one small surprise. I only found out about it by accident. It does not come with a stand. I'm not sure if it says so on their website, but I didn't notice it. I found another thread were somebody talked about maximum height of the machine, and Paul had offered to make their stand a little shorter for them. I contacted Paul and said I would like the shorter stand as well. That's when I found out the stand was an option. I ordered and paid for the stand, I probably wasn't very nice sounding when I said I didn't figure a "turnkey" mill would sit on the floor," but Paul was gracious enough about it. We got it sorted out, I paid the extra, and the stand I want will ship with the mill.

I had figured I would set it up for the TTS tooling system like a lot of Tormach and Novakon guys use. But I did a little research on the Mach 1 R8 system Charter Oak offers and I decided it could probably handle heavier loads without slipping. So, even though it costs a little more and the tool holders cost a little more than TTS tool holders I decided to go with it. I do like the simplicity of the design for disengaging the locking stud on the holders. I have confidence in the design holding the tool holders. I am concerned with how easily it will release the tool holders from the quill. I'll let you guys know how it works for me.

Now I am just anxiously waiting for its arrival. It should be here sometime next week...