586,409 active members*
3,093 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > OneCNC > Onecnc pocketing finish

Onecnc pocketing finish

Hi newbie question just started using onecnc xr3 mill
    I would like to know if when selecting leave for finish and a figure of say 0.5mm
    in the pocketing in stock tool paths if I then click next and click none for finish depth or bottom only will it leave the pocket shy or will it cut it to size reason being is I have pocketed ramping in with a tipped cutter to rough out then done a profile chain with a 16mm end mill to finish the boundaries or will I need to offset a boundary say 1mm in select this for my rough then select the profile chain and the larger boundary to finish
    Would also like to know if this goes the same for the circle tool as I need to leave some of the larger holes shy and then remove the item and place in the jig borer so I can be sure to get the bearing sizes exact as our cnc is slightly worn and I only have one chance with this item

Many thanks lee

Re: Onecnc pocketing finish

Leave for finish in the operation will leave the specified material and will not finish it to size. Unless you turn on the finish pass.

Thanks for the reply so if i do a circle pocket say leave for finish 0.5 and set final Z at -20 will it stop at -19.5 and leave 0.5 on the OD or finish at -20 and leave 0.5 on the OD

Thanks lee

Im using XR5 and its been several years since I have used XR3. On XR5 if you tell it to leave material and turn off finishing it will leave the material. It will only leave material in the Z if you check the box "leave on bottom." I cant remember if XR3 calculates the same way or not, but I believe it does.

As a check you could backplot the toolpath and sketch in the size of the tool and see if it is staying away from the edge you picked. This also works for the z if you look at the depth of the backplot.