Lets assume the following reasonable scenario: KFlop + KStep driving stepper motors with windings that have about 2.8mh inductance.

If I follow the recommendation on the Gecko site, using the formula (32 * SquareRoot( inductance in mh)) I end up with a "recommended" voltage of about 54 volts. Given that the KStep is rated for 48 volts and 48 volts matches nicely with what seems to be available I've decided I would like a "48 volt" power supply.

The two most popular power supply types appear to be "switching" and "linear" [I understand the difference in the two technologies] and while both might be available in "regulated" and "unregulated" [again, I understand the difference] the most available and reasonable priced flavors seem to be "regulated switching" and "unregulated linear".

Which brings me to my "knows just enough to be dangerous" conundrum.

If I go with the unregulated linear supply I must go with one that has a maximum output voltage of 48 volts or less. Regretfully this voltage will happen at zero load and will decrease as load increases ... i.e. when you actually need it. I assume the voltage could theoretically drop to as low as 34 volts under heavy loads, but even if it didn't go to the theoretical minimum it would certainly drop below the optimum voltage we defined earlier.

If I go with a regulated switching supply by definition I can stay at 48 volts under all reasonable load conditions but then must face the switching power supply detractors related to complexity ... i.e. if something goes wrong the entire device usually becomes a door stop ... and their inability to react quickly to the abrupt current needs of the motor driver. It has been suggested that the latter shortcoming could possibly be addressed by adding a large capacitor across the switching power supply output but this adds yet more complexity and adds an additional constraint on the switcher that it be able to address the ultra high inrush currents of an empty capacitor on turn on.

I would appreciate any comments to help me thru would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Arvid