586,119 active members*
3,394 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DirtBound Offroads New 5x10 Plasma Table Build

This will be my second plasma table build, our first table is a 4x6 with a powermax 45, G540 controller with LCTHC. You can see my first build here: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/plasma...ble-build.html

We use the table day in and day out in our shop building offroad products and Jeep Bumpers, and recently have had issues with our powermax 45. After looking though our options we decided we wanted to go for a full size table and settled on a 5x10 size.

By going larger we wont have to have our steel supplier sheer our steel, and will ultimately save us money by fitting more product per sheet vs before.

So far I have been gathering parts:

5 x 20ft 2x3 .188 tubing for the frame
    1 x 20ft 3x3 .120 tubing for the legs
    Powermax 85 with machine torch
    CandCNC blade runner 620x4 electronics
    Refurbished Dell Computer

For the rails I am planning on using 3/8" x 3" cold roll bar stock and bearings, this will make it affordable and should be cheap to maintain and replace if it ever gets damaged etc...

Now since we have a working table it will make cutting parts for the table easy, I just have to find the time to throw it into the computer.

Now I am planning on building a belt reduction since I want the machine to be smooth and accurate, my other concern is the gantry is going to be made from steel and may be heavy. I am thinking a 3:1 reduction to pair to the 620oz steppers.

I will be updating this thread as I get more parts and will use this as a place to brainstorm.

Re: DirtBound Offroads New 5x10 Plasma Table Build

Parts are starting to flow in!
    Our Powermax 85 showed up yesterday, and we are going to be setting it up on our current table since our 45 needs to be sent out for service. I also got the gear rack and pinion and the belt reduction parts for a 3:1 ratio. Now that we have the parts I can start drawing up the gantry parts and get them cut out.
    Next week i'm pulling the guys off production for a day so we can knock the table frame out.
    Attachment 231040Attachment 231042Attachment 231044

Re: DirtBound Offroads New 5x10 Plasma Table Build

DirtBound: You need to try and keep the total weight of the gantry with the twin 620 motors on the BladeRunner to around 100lbs max. At that it will give you good acceleration up to about 200 IPM cutting speeds. The heavier the gantry the less acceleration you can get We know from years of testing that you have to have around 25 IPS/sec accel in MACH (especially the gantry axis) to get sharp corners and decent holes

The 3:1 ratio will go a long ways in getting the optimal performance out of the system. You can get lots more information and help on the build over on my CandCNC Support Forum (link button on my website) You will really enjoy the 65 and hookup to the DTHC is a single cable with nothing to modify or wire inside. The 65 can be setup with their RS495 serial port and our HyT-Connect RS485 SIM kit to give you "TAP" Total Automated Plasma. You will be amazed at the level of control you can get. You don't need that to do a lot of the automated features but it adds control of the Cut Current (amps) and the air pressure WHILE you are cutting and that can make some difficult cuts a lot easier

TOMcaudle
    www.CandCNC.com