there is a lot about this here already:
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/fadal/...rking-dnc.html

I'm trying out AFF for the first time right now, and have it coded into my post processor to turn it on, and choose parameters, etc.

AFF is actually just making the motion jerky and the toolpaths slower. I'm not sure what to think. It is my understanding that AFF is FADAL's offering for high speed machining. Beyond that vague description, it seems that it really is giving you access to variables that allow you to 'tune' the machine to specific applications.

This being said, I think it may have been designed with simple toolpaths in mind. Trochoidal paths like trumill / volumill / imachining do a lot of fancy feed rate changes and so on - and the fadal just seems to get slower when running AFF with that kind of path. maybe it will be more beneficial for 3D contouring? I really don't know.

It seems though, that this is going to be a very long trial and error process, and the conclusion might just be that the machine runs better without AFF anyhow. Good thing I didn't pay a whole lot for the boards (compared to what I can imagine fadal charged for this option). I need to learn how to use it to my advantage. Right now it pretty much sucks.

Anybody using AFF out there?

in addition to M94.2 (AFF) I also coded my post to spit out M94.1 (feed rate modifications based on angular change) - this doesn't work at all with toolpaths that change feeds often., and I also set up my most to do M90 thru M93 gain changes based on feed rate. Setting the machine to higher gain just seems to make the motion really jerky and seems very hard on the machine.

Unfortunately I spent a solid 8 hour day programming these 'advanced' tool sets into my post, and at the end of the day I am shutting all of those features off. wtf.