586,361 active members*
3,536 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Low cost laser options

I had been planning on building a 90-150W laser with probably a Lightobject stage, but now I need a smaller laser very soon to do some engraving and light cutting jobs. What I am looking for now is something like a 40W low cost ready to go machine to hold me over until I get to the bigger one. I was thinking the one sold by Automation Technologies for $869 here Hobby 40W CO2 LASER ENGRAVING CUTTING MACHINE ENGRAVER with Phone Support, Ship from USA | Automation Technology Inc. I know there are others in that price range on Ebay and other places. Unfortunately the small one Lightobject sells is $2,150 and a little out of the budget for this particular job and considering it will be replaced with a bigger one in the next year.

Can anyone with experience give an opinion on the Automation Technologies one or point me to something better that I can get in that price range quickly?

Re: Low cost laser options

I bought my LG500 from them and was very happy with the way everything went. I went there and picked it up after I saw that it would do what I needed. I did have the control board go out and they sent out a new one the same day so I was only down 1 day.

Be aware that the software for that 800$ machine is awful, and the machine itself will more then likely to require a lot of expensive up grades

I was thinking that if the controller and software don't do the job that I might just retrofit it with the DSP controller and software from Lightobject. That is what I had planned when I get the bigger laser anyway.

Lightobject prices are robery.
    I just bought for my client 600x900 laser machine from China with 80W laser, el. table, Leetro MPC6525 for 3200 $ with shipping to Europe.
    Also so called Solo-DSP is worthy up tp 1000$
    CNC lasers, constructions, service

low cosg laser options

Usually different price has different quality product. Good luck!

Got the machine yesterday. Looks mechanically like good quality. Software does not look as bad as others have said, but I have only played with it a short time. Biggest problem I see with using the machine as is and with the Moshi software is that you manually adjust the laser power with a dial so if you are doing light engraving, deep engraving, and cutting you will need to do them as different steps and adjust power correctly before each one. I did order the Lightobject DSP upgrade kit, but have not picked it up from the post office yet. Looks like that has PWM control of the laser power so none of the fiddling with the power knob and multiple steps. I will play with the unit a bit and make sure all works correctly with the old control system before I put in the DSP upgrade which looks like it will take five or six hours.