586,432 active members*
4,176 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New 12z for CNC conversion

Hey everyone!
    I have a power supply question right off the bat.
    I bought Kelling KL34-180-72 servos (from Automation Technology, inc.) for my new 12z manual machine that hasn't been delivered yet. They arrived in 1 heavy box today, along with the C10 breakout board and the 72VDC, 20A power supply (KL7220).

The power supply has dual full wave bridge rectifiers and dual outputs. Do I just parallel these together? The "documentation" doesn't specify.
    I have done a few Mach3 machines with steppers, but this will be my largest and my first foray into servos. I intend to drive these with Gecko g320X drivers I bought a while back at Gecko's yearly sale.

Thanks for any pointers!

Re: New 12z for CNC conversion

Ron,

I'm doing the same thing with the same Keling conversion kit and same mill. Just started hooking up the servos yesterday and had the same question about the power supply you asked above. I've emailed Keling but haven't heard back yet. Just wondering if you ever got an answer to this question.

I'm thinking they should just be hooked up in parallel. Do I hook the C terminals to each other too?

I don't remember the exact wording, but Kelling responded to me with something like "yes, parallel everything."

That sounds like a typical response from them. So did you tie the C terminals together?

Also, I'm trying to decide what encoder setting to use as I set up and test the servos. Since it is kindof a pain to remove them from the motors to change the dip switch settings I would rather get it right to begin with. Looks like I can set Mach 3 to 100kHz and support 1024 and still get the max 4000 RPM or I can derate the max RPM to about 3500 and use max resolution of 2048. How did you set yours up?

I haven't got to assembling the electronics, yet. Been working on a stand. I drive an hour each way to get to work, so not a lot of extra time during the week. From what I have read, you don't want to go to the high end on resolution.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...n-rf45-23.html