586,878 active members*
3,097 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: New build starting soon!!!

Awesome! Thanks! I just spotted the coolant tank in the build thread. Looks like a good feature.

I get what your saying about the 4 rails. I think I might downgrade/upgrade the X axis rails to THK HRW35CAM's instead. They're 107mm wide rails with 120mm wide trucks so that width will (should) help any side wobble from the Y axis movement on the gantry. Plus the CAM's are stainless which is an added bonus. So it'll be just 2 rails on the X and 2 either ballscrews or rack and pinions, 2 rails on the Y with 1 ballscrew and 2 on the Z with 1 ballscrew. That should cover that.

Hmmm... I didn't think about the max input rpm with the planetary gearboxes. What about incorporating a Sieg X2 or X3 geared head/spindle? They are cheap enough but the question is quality. I know a lot of people have used the for a convert CNC machine so they must fair ok. Plus getting one of these will leave enough change for a 2.2kw water cooled spindle for timber work which is a plus!

I couldn't find any prices on the Gilman USA site but it looks high quality (?) and is definitely an option if the price is right. I can always upgrade if it starts to make real money lol...

For steppers I'm thinking these (but probably not from this company...)... https://www.damencnc.com/nl/componen...er-motors#p784

2 x Nema 34 Closed Loop 8.0Nm High Voltage steppers for the X axis (16.0Nm on the X total), 1 x Nema 42 Closed Loop 20.0Nm High Voltage stepper for the Y axis and probably a Nema 34 Closed Loop 8.0Nm High Voltage stepper for the Z axis. Still thinking about the 4th axis but I can leave that until I get this thing up and going. This should be enough grunt for what I want to do with out bogging down too much if at all, hopefully??

Thanks for the help and info!

I'm hoping to get some build shots up soon!!!

Re: New build starting soon!!!

Is there going to be any problem with running the CO ball screws onto of the X axis 80x40 + 16mm frames? Also any problem with running the Y axis ballscrews on the back of the gantry?

Cheers for the help!