586,459 active members*
3,271 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What's the value of my mill?

I have a bridgeport mill (line-a-mill) that has had all of the electronics stripped off of it and a few other parts.

It's in great shape with almost no wear on the ways and no play in the ball screws in any direction. It didn't see much use and came from a plastics factory.

It has a J head, 48" table, all ball screws (in great shape). It's missing the manual feed handles (never had them since it was built as a CNC), the main table bearings, the motor, the fine feed assembly from the head (never had it). I would guess less than $500 in parts from eBay to make it a nice manual mill.

To return it to CNC it would need the table bearings, motor, pulleys, and all the electronics.

I planed to use this as a CNC machine for me but I just don't have the room in my shop, and my bench-top CNC mill has done everything I've ever needed.

So I'm trying to decide what the mill is worth, Should I part it out, or sell it as it as a unit? If I sell it whole what's it worth? If I part it out what parts should I sell, and what should I scrap?

I'm in Rochester NY, and the machine is in my garage (right by the door), so loading it may be an issue if that affects it's value. I'd post pictures but it's piled under a mountain of crap.

Re: What's the value of my mill?

As-is it's not really worth a whole lot. You could ask about $1500 for the pile of parts if they took it all. You might get more for the parts individually, but that would take more work to dis-assemble and advertise, and it would tie up your space for longer. You might try the Classifieds on this site - people here are sometimes looking for projects.

I don't think trying to make it into a manual mill makes sense, if it was designed to be a CNC. If you did put the time and money into making it a good running CNC mill, you could probably get up to $10k for it.
    Andrew Werby
    Website