I finally received a part for my CNC machine on a Friday instead of a Monday! I received my SuperPID and started looking at how to mod my Craftsman router.

First I took off the top cover. the motor brushed had become 'stuck' to the small rubber pads used to hold the brushes in place. As a result they both came out.
There really isn't a convenient place to mount the RPM sensor. right under the cover is a small metal plate that covers the shaft lock mechanism. The red plastic bar in the pictures is the shaft lock handle. It also has a power interlock switch that prevents the motor from turning on if the shaft is locked. To see if there was a good place to put the RPM sensor under there I removed the snapped in place metal retaining plate. THIS WAS NOT NEEDED! As it can be seen in the photos there is no room in the shaft lock mechanism. So, DON'T take this off. It's not too hard to reassemble, but why bother if you don't need to. Under the shaft lock there are two springs that will come out if your not careful. They do not require a lot of pressure to keep in place as it can be seen in the picture with a small screwdriver holding it in place with a little bit of pressure.

Under the top bearing and on top of the motor stator there is a small step that is a perfect place to put the sensor. However in order to put the sensor to use this place and not block access to the motor brushed I decided to drill a hole for the sensor tube through the body and inner motor housing. I could not get a really good picture of this.
I used the BIC white out from Walmart to 'paint' 1/2 of the step on the stator with white. The stator is already black so this worked well.

The senor actually sticks out our of the tube about 5-8mm and is about 2mm from painted stator. I used a small dab of hot-melt glue to hold it in place in the tube and also used a small about to hold the tube in place. I used a small tie-wrap around the tube to be used as a depth stop so the tube wont hit the stator.

I get an excellent signal from the sensor for both the back and white areas.

W.