586,485 active members*
2,793 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help with manual tool change

Hi,

New user here just getting to learn the ropes with Kflop and KmotionCNC. All my tool changes are manual. After a new tool is inserted, I either jog it down to the surface and use the paper method and manually 0 the z, or a simple touch-off C program, which sets Z to the height of the puck.

For in-program tool changes, I am putting a message comment, like "(Msg, Insert a 1/4" end mill)" in the program. That's fine...it stops and waits...but neither the jog buttons, keypad, or gamepad seem to work when the message box is being displayed. The touch-off program works as far as moving the Z to the puck...but...the z position DRO doesn't change. How can the Z position be set when the MSG is on the screen. Or how would I code a simple tool change program to do that?

Also, another subject...the conditional g-code functions in LinuxCNC don't seem to work in KmotionCNC. Are they there and I'm just doing something wrong? If they are not there, any plans to add them in a future release?

Thanks,

randy

Re: Help with manual tool change

Hi randyrhine,

If you need to change offsets or probe after changing a Tool You might add an M0 in the Gcode after the message. This would stop the GCode interpreter and allow you to change offsets, run a probe to set a tool length table offset, or something else. Afterwards the operator would need to resume by pushing cycle start.

Another option might be to put an M6 (Tool change) in the GCode. Then the Tool Change Program could display a message to prompt the Operator to change the tool and then do an immediate Probe and set a tool length before continuing.

Regards
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com

Re: Help with manual tool change

Thanks!....M0 does what I want...pause with the jog buttons enabled.

rr