587,030 active members*
3,691 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Taig Mills / Lathes > (how) should I upgrade the waycovers?

(how) should I upgrade the waycovers?

I've been very happy with my CNC taig so far, but lately I'm worrying that the stock waycovers may not be enough for what I'm doing on it. Specifically, I've been doing isolation routing of circuit boards (a bit of an overkill to use a 1/3HP motor for that, I know) and this generates a lot of fine copper dust and dust of the filler material (not fiberglass, I think it's "phenolic paper" or something for a healthier lung). But the point is that this dust is a much, much finer than typical aluminum chips I see in machining videos online. Should I be concerned that this dust will gunk up my taig and ruin it? I notice the stock waycover along the X axis is below the sliding surface that the table moves in the X-Y direction along, which looks like a poor design. The dust likes to get in that groove (especially since it's oiled and hence a dust magnet). Does anyone know of a better system for protecting the mechanism from dust? Preferably something I can just buy, like a longer waycover that attaches to the end of the table, or does anyone have an easy recipe for something that can be hacked together to provide some extra protection?

Re: (how) should I upgrade the waycovers?

I haven't seen them on a taig but accordion/concertina bellows way covers may help. Otherwise dust extraction.

See:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...ay-covers.html