586,132 active members*
2,609 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Stepping up voltage from a pc power supply

Stepping up voltage from a pc power supply

Hi

I'm working on a low budget solution.
    I have a PC power supply, a stepper driver and a stepper motor and an arduino that I use to control the motor.
    I have tested the motor using the 12v from the pc power supply as the power source, but the motor is running at a quite low rpm.
    The pc power supply have only 12v outputs, but can drive a lot of amp's (much more than I need).

Can I use a voltage regulator to step up the voltage delivered to the driver, for example this one:
    DC-DC Converter 12V to 48V 3A 144W Step-Up Power Supply Module (New DC Converter 12V to 48V 3A 144W Step Up Boost Power Supply Module Car | eBay)
    I also assume that if I were to use this one, I could use it to supply power to a driver rated up to 3A, driving a motor up to 3A.

Am I understanding this correct?

Re: Stepping up voltage from a pc power supply

In my opinion you would be better of buying the correct power supply and skip the PC power supply . Using your sugested option you would first need a load attached to 5V line to kick in the regulation otherwise you'll have way to much fluctuation on the 12V line since the converter will draw up to 12A vhen having 3A load at 48V.