586,127 active members*
3,442 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > 1997 AC Servo 4020 Hangs Up At Startup, Will Not Cold Start, Cannot Type on Keypad

1997 AC Servo 4020 Hangs Up At Startup, Will Not Cold Start, Cannot Type on Keypad

I recently purchased a 97 4020, our first AC servo machine and I've been unable to boot up and run the machine.

Upon power up the machine either opens up the startup screen or sometimes it loads up a command prompt which commands you to jog the axis to zero and cold start.

Oddly, you can jog all three axis, but only in one direction.

Most keys on the keyboard do nothing but (tool in/out) button prompts screen changes and the manual and jog buttons allow for the limited movements of the axis in one direction. Unfortunately, the start buttons do nothing to initialize the machine and I cannot type anything onto the display with the keypad to check settings, parameters, ect.

The tool carrousel buttons actually rotate the tool changer.

Overall its a strange machine which I'm sure has an odd history. It has a 30 tool carousel changer, 15K spindle, a tool setter, and at one time it appears to have had a pallet changer and programmable coolant nozzle there have since been removed. There is some interesting welding on the sheetmetal to seal things back up. Overall its in shockingly good condition for an 18 year old machine and obviously never spent any time in anything resembling a production shop. Supposedly it ran in the last shop it was in but I have no contact with the previous owner.

I've reseated the boards, memory, checked the control battery ect with no success.

Thanks for the input. I'm lost on this one.

Re: 1997 AC Servo 4020 Hangs Up At Startup, Will Not Cold Start, Cannot Type on Keypa

Remove ext memory, reboot
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

Re: 1997 AC Servo 4020 Hangs Up At Startup, Will Not Cold Start, Cannot Type on Keypa

Quote Originally Posted by carbidecraters View Post
    Remove ext memory, reboot
    Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately it didn't change anything.

I have a 96 4020 with DC servos at my disposal. Are any of the control boards, keyboard interface, ect interchangeable? The AC machine has a floppy disk drive and a remote pendant control so I'm not sure if that's why the keyboard interphase card is different.

The 96 has a 1400-5A card and the 97 has a 1400-5C card. Since the axis will all jog, just not in both directions I'm suspecting that the problem is more in the operating end of the system and not in an axis component or drive. That said, there is a disconnected drive in the upper left hand of the cabinet for either a programmable coolant nozzle, a pallet changer, or some kind of hydro chip sweeper that has long since been removed.

I tried running the machine w/o the extended memory module installed as well and sadly the operation was unchanged.

Is there anyway to reseat the CPU?

Thanks again for the heads up. How many Fadals on in your steed these days?

I pulled what was I guess the servo coolant board from slot 13 and restarted the cnc to find it open up with a memory error at 63FF and a prompt to zero memory and view diagnostics. Unfortunately, most of the keys on the keypad were now working but some displayed the wrong character. As luck would have it all commands I could think of could not be elicited with the limited choice of correct characters. Super odd.

The mill interface on the 97 is a 1420 2b on the 97 and a 1420 2a on the 96. Anyone know if they're interchangeable?

Thanks again.

Check the fadal manual in the compatibility chart. Very little was not swappable.
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.