586,391 active members*
3,130 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > New Torus Pro - Servo Machine

Unhappy New Torus Pro - Servo Machine

Just finished setting up my Pro and developed start up problems. This machine came configured with the computer and software installed. I added my own monitor, keyboard and mouse which I guess is standard for what I ordered. Problem is that nothing worked as it should. No spindle control and jerky axis movement when holding down the arrow and it was more like a bump instead of smooth travel. I tried to find a manual on the BOB but couldn't locate one on line. The BOB led's did not look right. They appeared to pulse like something was kicking in and out. I tried the reset on the BOB and finally got the correct movement. I powered the unit down but again, it reverted to the malfunctioning mode. Reset took care of the problem again. Can anyone tell me how to solve this problem? I kind of remember a similer issue was addressed in the past but found no solution in the forum. Help would be appreciated. I hate to call Novakon if this is a simple fix.
    Thanks in advance.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Re: New Torus Pro - Servo Machine

First thing to ask is whether you selected the correct Mach3 profile.

Hi Bill,

The flashing LED is normal and indicates a functioning processor. Our team is at the EXPO, but we can respond almost anytime and anywhere. We will give you a call on Monday to go this start up procedure. Your mill will work as the demonstration does in the EXPO.

Regards,
    Novakon Team

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    I tried the reset on the BOB and finally got the correct movement. I powered the unit down but again, it reverted to the malfunctioning mode. Reset took care of the problem again.
    So, it doesn't work when you power it on normally but it starts working correctly after you manually press the reset button.

Just spitballing here...
    Assuming the machine is in a working state (post reset) does anything change if you close Mach3? What about if you open Mach3 again? I would also try flipping the drive/spindle power switch on the side of the control cabinet. Does anything happen when it's turned off and turned back on?

Thanks All;
    Kvom, my setup only has the pro servo profile. Since I did get it to work when pressing the reset button, I think the issue is somewhere else. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Hirudin,
    The unit goes back into what I call malfunctioning mode after I quit Mach and restart! Or at least, that happened the last time I tried it.
    Novakon,
    Unfortunately I'm out of town for a couple of days and can't try anything that has been mentioned. Right now I'm just looking for ideas to develope a test plan that makes sense. I really appreciate the help. Have fun at the expo! I really wish I was there instead of here!!!!!
    Many Thanks.
    Bill
    billyjack

We have to say there is a great support group out there. When you get back Bill, send me a quick email and we can follow up.

Regards,
    Novakon Team

Question Re: New Torus Pro - Servo Machine - NEW QUESTION

I do have my pro up and running but I still have to reset the BOB after every startup. I was under the impression that Novakon is designing a new BOB to replace this troublesome model. Does anyone have any new information????
    My question of this week has to do with the oiler system. I've always used the Bijur type of one shot pump which is activated by pushing down on the handleand letting the spring distribute the oil on the pump return. In other words, I cannot feel the pumping action of the pump because it occurs on the return of the handle to the up position.
    On the pro, the pumping action occurs on the down stroke and one can feel the oil being forced through the system. This is reverse of the bijur pump and is it normal. I just want to make sure that the system is oiling properly. How and where do you visually check for oil flow?
    Sorry to be a PITA guys but I need this equipment to last a while!
    Thanks in advance.
    Bill
    billyjack

Bill,

The new BOB for the Pro is in the works. The one for the Pulsar was recently released.

Yes, the oil pump pumps on the down-stroke - opposite the Bijur.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I used several methods to check for the presence of oil on the ways and screws. None of which were 100%. Z axis is fairly easy. Remove the way cover and look.
    X was not too bad. I initially used a flash light and mirror. Cell phone or camera could have been used as well.
    On my Y axis, you have to remove the way covers. Not that easy. I think you have bellows, which may be a bit easier.
    I could not actually see that oil was entering correctly, but with oil present on the ways and the screws and the pump acting correctly, it should be doing what it is designed to do. None of it has to be flooded with oil, though I do use the oiler several times a day now. Maybe 5 or 6, but my oiler is right beside the spindle.
    Lee

Thanks LeeWay!
    That's basically what I figured out. I'm thinking of adding an automatic oiler since I'm bad to forget the hand pump. For the general viewers, has anyone modified the existing system to add an auto oiler?
    Thanks again.
    Bill
    billyjack