587,067 active members*
3,602 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Looking for a Recommendation on a Shop Vac

Looking for a Recommendation on a Shop Vac

Looking to replace my shop vac and am looking for insight on what folks recommend. I know I want the larger hose (not the small one like a wall mount has) so that I can pick up larger pieces without it clogging the hose. Another thing would be noise. I wish they listed the DB of these things.

I have easy access to Harbor Freight, Lowes and Home Depot locally.

Thanks!
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Re: Looking for a Recommendation on a Shop Vac

If you plan to pickup chips you probably need some sort of separator otherwise the filter clogs quickly. I have a Dust Deputy attached to a cheap Home Depot vacuum. Virtually all of the chips are caught before entering the vacuum. See Oneida Air Systems, Inc. - American-Made Dust Collection Systems & Components There are many DIY designs on the net but buying their kit plus a 5gal bucket is easier.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    If you plan to pickup chips you probably need some sort of separator otherwise the filter clogs quickly. I have a Dust Deputy attached to a cheap Home Depot vacuum. Virtually all of the chips are caught before entering the vacuum. See Oneida Air Systems, Inc. - American-Made Dust Collection Systems & Components There are many DIY designs on the net but buying their kit plus a 5gal bucket is easier.
    Good advice! One further recommendation- check out Ebay for the same unit, for around 30 bucks delivered. Oneida's kit is several times that (depending on the one you get).

Example

Improved Version Cyclone Dust Separator Filter Collector Set for Vacuum Cleaner | eBay

I've got two of these- one in front of my shop vac ("5" hp Sears brand), one on the output of a DeWalt planer. Shopvac filter no longer needs cleaning, even with dust. Or not much. Any shop vac can power this cyclone, it's very small.

Performance is fine. Just molded plastic. One thing- you will want to make a couple of adapters to get to US standard sizes. The adapters supplied don't fit, and they're some kind of weird asian size. 2" PVC DWV fits perfectly if bored out a bit, and then one can go to US standard hose with standard plumbing pipe. Use long-sweep elbows (drain, not supply fittings) to avoid clogs. One can also buy vac hose that has a LH thread as part of the design, and make adapters for that directly.

Incidentally- see if you can find a used pool-chemical pail for a bucket. 8-10 gallons, with a threaded lid. Sometimes the local apartment complex pools have these; they just throw them out. A 5 gallon pail is a bit unstable, these are better, not much bigger footprint.

Hd rigid for 90% of shop cleaning. I use a dust deputy when cleaning the mill and lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post

I'm partial to Fein vacs, but you won't them at HF or the two box stores. Amazon will probably have one on your door step in 2 days. +1 on the Dust Deputy - haven't had a hose plug in months since I started using one.!

I bought mine from Home Depot. I got a 5 gallons vac. It was only $119.99 and when I got to the check out, the cashier told me if I opened a Home Depot charge account, I'd get $50.00 off. What the hell, $50.00 is better in my pocket than theirs.

I bought my band saw almost the same way. The local Sears was closing and they were selling my $595.00 band saw for $350.00.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

I use floor model Craftsman and ShopVac ~18 gal, never had a problem with the filter being plugged but I did make a shield to protect the face of it when the inlet is. The chips aren't fine enough to totally clog the filter like dust does. They have the larger hose and still have issues with clogging. Were I use to work we had the wall mount with the smaller sized hose and they actually didn't clog up that much and were easy to clear, stayed out of the way since they weren't on the floor, easier to empty since they had a smaller capacity and better ergonomic shape for lifting than the floor models. My next one will be a wall mount.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

Just Running the big boy from Home Depot here (Rigid). It has lasted 2 years now so I'm not going to complain. I rarely plug it up unless I try to suck up a bunch of UHMW curls or some wood chunks from a temporary fixture.

I have a regular 5 hp ridged from home depot hooked up to a similar second stage like the dust deputy "Rockler dust right" it works pretty good. It might be a big large for my shop vacuum but its old and beat up. Ive found the smaller 5 gallon bucket versions do better with small steel chips.

The best purchase I have made recently is a wireless remote control that clips onto the hose. I never realized how many times i bent over to turn on the vac until now. My back greatly appreciates and so do the tools that get cleaned more frequently.

Buy FASTCAP Remote Vacuum Control Channel-3 at Woodcraft.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've got two of these- one in front of my shop vac ("5" hp Sears brand), one on the output of a DeWalt planer. Shopvac filter no longer needs cleaning, even with dust. Or not much. Any shop vac can power this cyclone, it's very small.
    good luck

+1 for Fein - Best suction to noise ratio, though maybe not as powerful as the shopvac screamers. But I cared more about noise than power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the recommendations guys!

I ended up keeping my Lowes super duty contractor shopvac in my garage for the machine shop instead of taking it to my new armor shop. Instead I got a backpack shopvac for the new location since most of what I will need it for there is cleaning under sewing machines and around cutting tables. I love this thing and cannot believe it's taken me 28 years to get one! Anyone cleaning factory or warehouse floors should consider this vac. I'm actually thinking of getting a second one for use at my house on the hardwood floors. Maybe I could get it for the wife for our 25th anniversary coming up :nono:

Link below for the one I got. It's super quiet 52 dB and easy to clean out.

Hoover Shoulder Vac Commercial Backpack Vacuum Cleaner-C2401 - The Home Depot

Thanks again for all the suggestions!
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Wow that is slick! I had not seen a backpacker before- it makes total sense. 52 dB is extremely quiet too. Nice find.