586,361 active members*
3,549 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > V-Carving (Bobart)

V-Carving (Bobart)

I decided I would like to do a Mayan, Aztec calendar. I ran into a small problem. When I tried to run the toolpath it runs for about five minutes, then crashes with an out of memory error.
    I took this book same graphic into the Vcarvepro and it took 20 seconds to finish. It showed a cutting time of about four hours.Here is the Bobcad file if anyone cares to take a look and tell me what I am doing wrong.
    I was trying to do this as a 3-D. V carving.

Thank you,
    Don
    The time has come the woodworker said to speak of many things. 0f routers and Wood , chips and paints and stains and CNC and other things.

Re: V-Carving (Bobart)

20 seconds Vcarvepro,,,,,,well then we all need to go buy that.
    I remember just playing with that model about 4 years ago with BoB 23.I had to break the model up in smaller chunks.Way to much for my computer to compute.I don't remember crashing,seems it just kept calculating forever.

I'm not very familiar with Vcarve Pro, but I suspect it's a lot more tolerant of bad geometry than BobCAD is. There are a lot of different versions of the Aztec Calendar out there, and every one that I've looked at has had a bumper crop of bad geometry. I spent a lot of time cleaning up the best one I found, a year or two ago, and finally got it into a state that didn't give BobCAD the heebie-jeebies. The drawing is separated into layers, but you should be able to just turn them all on and box-select the whole thing, then toolpath it.

Luke
    "All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

Trotline that is generous of you to share.Some day I may get a Router,and this would be a cool project.That said,can I trouble you for a .dxf ? I don't have V26,thanks.

Oops! I should have included the .dxf along with that V26 file. Here it is. You know, I think one of these cut into a nicely polished, maybe anodized or blued piece of metal would look amazing. Why wait for a router?

Luke

Well,maybe,it has been a thought.But right now I am in process of moving machine in new shop,,then building(me the machinist) of a K-Boat from scratch.Plus my normal work.It looks to be, I might make some money this year.Then there is this talk "if we got a CNC Lathe,could you program and run it ?
    But yeah,I have tossed this one around for years,agree it needed cleaned-up some.Table travels dictate a reduction in size slightly.Anodize first,them machine is one thought.Other thought is machine first,then anodize,then skim cut with a face mill,sand,polish.

Luke,I came across this a couple of months ago.Talk about perfect for BobArt.
    Clean,clean,clean.Hope it of some use,if you have not already seen this.

?????? ???????? ?????????? ????ps???? ????????? ????????? ?????????? - ???? - ???

Definitely some nice files there. I'm struggling to figure out their upload/download scheme, but I think it might be worth the effort. Thanks

Luke

They work pretty good just using the screen capture.Have no idea of Japanese writing,

It's a Chinese artwork sharing site, I'm guessing you have to sign up and contribute or pay to get points, then use points for downloads -

302 Moved

There's some cool artwork on there

Thank you for all the replies. Thank you Trotline for the files. I am going to try jrmach's idea first and do some clean up and do it in sections.I was mostly wanting to know if it was to big
    or just bad geometry.

Thank You
    Don
    The time has come the woodworker said to speak of many things. 0f routers and Wood , chips and paints and stains and CNC and other things.