586,145 active members*
3,843 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

PC locks up sending to Mazak

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, Im running Mastercam 9.1 mill3 on my 1985 Mazak VQC 20/50b mill. [ M2 control] I am able to send programs from the PC to the mill with just a few edits to the program before sending. Mazak runs the part just fine. Problem comes after the program is sent, the PC locks [crashes] up and Mastercam must be closed and reopened before any other work can be done. Very annoying if you didnt hit save 1st.....

Can anyone give me some feed back on what settings or features in the program I should look at?

Thanks, Erik

I usually set up a 3 wire cable with hardware handshake jumpered out, if you have this or this doesn't cure it then I would imagine that Mastercam is waiting for a s/w handshake command from the Mazak. The programs I use just send with s/w H.S. and that is it.
    Is the Mastercam s/w set up to look for some kind of code that indicates recieve is done?
    This would probabally be on the Communications set up screen.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks Al, I will look up those settings. my cable is set as follows..
    PC 9pin to CNC 25 pin
    PC [2] to CNC [2]
    PC [3] to CNC [3]
    PC [7] to CNC [5]
    PC [8] to CNC [4]
    PC [5] to CNC [7] Jumper 6,8,20 on CNC side only, I was told to attach cable shield to pin 1 on CNC side but I do not have shielded cable so that part was skipped.

Format=ASCII, Parity=even, Port=1, data bits=7, Baud=4800, stop bits=2, handshaking=software

How does this look? Thanks, Erik

The cable looks ok, check the Mastercam communications settings for any end of file code etc.
    Apart from that, try communication by another means, like the free one from Cadem.com
    They also have all the cable and parameter details on the site.
    Al.

Albert E.

Hi, Can you explain, "end of file codes" a little more?

Thanks, Erik

I am not familiar with Mastercam so I don't know what they have for set up. But I imagine they have a communication set up screen and the setting here MAY tell you what the prog. may be looking for in the way of a code from the Mazak to indicate end-of-transmission.
    Al.

Albert E.

OK, thanks