Well this has been a long time coming but I am finally starting this long overdue project. I just finished a Momus 2.1 build I am eager to get started on this larger more robust machine. I am using the Momus to cut out and mill some of the parts for this machine and its been great having the ability to do that. I actually built the Momus with this exact intention in mind, also it was a good learning experience all around into the world of CNC machines.
Everything is aluminum, either 80/20 or custom cut to my plans.
Below are a couple of concept pics as well as some of the parts made from the Momus. I have alot of parts on order and they should be arriving soon. In the meantime I got some aluminum today and started cutting out the basic pieces for the gantry and Z axis.
Im using all round linear rails and slides, fully supported. The gantry beam is a piece of 80/20 in the 3060 size. Using 80/20's deflection calculator I am well within the tolerances I want to be in. The other pieces will all be custom fabbed either using the Momus or just standard power and hand tools. Everything will basically bolt together, no welding.
I will post more when there is something more exciting to look at!!
Here we go!!