586,612 active members*
3,617 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > MCx5 Verify Toolpath

MCx5 Verify Toolpath

I have no problem with the "Backplot Selected Operations" but when I choose the "Verify Selected Operations" MC crashes either half way thru or at the end of the verify

Is this a setting I have missed on MC or its normal?

I think it could be a memory problem but I do have 2GB memory on Vista Home
    Nicolas

Re: MCx5 Verify Toolpath

Welcome to MasterCam. I don't think anyone really knows what the cause is. It doesn't seem to be just one thing creating the problem. I have 8gb of memory still from time to time verify just simply will not complete. Sometimes it completely crashes to the point of closing MC. You can have two identical systems sitting side by side one will crash and one will run with no problems. Or you are right it could simply be lack of memory.

Glad someone answered and its not a setting problem. I always save my work now before I use the verify
    Nicolas

LOL! that's the key. But once in a while I get on a roll and forget. That sucks! I tried turning on auto save but it seems to always want to save at the most inopportune moments.

It is not the Ram folks or a setting but the video card. what video cards are you folks running? I have not had this issue when I use to run X5 and I had it on min of 4 of my computers from desktops to laptops.
    But I always build my computers to run Cad and Cam software.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Never thought about it but it makes sense the video card to be the problem. Glad to know
    Nicolas

I agree that the video card can cause the problem. But it isn't always at fault. I have an old del at home that doesn't crash as much as my work computer and it only has the onboard video in it. Of course everything else is just as basic right down to the 2.1 ghz processor that really crawls along. So even with a few crashes I can still get more done because of the speed.

Tony,
    if use the onboard video and turn off hardware Accl in the config you can get by allot of time with basics. but if you are going to do High end large file complex multisurface and 5 axis you are going to run into trouble.
    Also my info comes from over ten years of be a teach support for the local mastercam dealer here in Cali and seen this for years. I agree that this is not always the case but most of the time yes.
    I have gotten Mastercam to run on some junk computers over the years for customers for sure. But it does for sure make a difference on the computer you are running and what level of mastercam you are running.MCX5 is easer to get to run but with X7 verify it will be a little bit harder from my view.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Cadcam, do you have a computer strictly for MC? The reason I ask is that I'm considering doing a total fresh install of windows and then before anything else installing MC. I have been under the impression for a while now that a lot of MC's problems are software conflicts rather than actual MC bugs. Or do you believe that upgrading the video card will fix most issues.
    Thank you for your input. It is greatly appreciated.
    Tony

Tony, I do not have a computer just for MC. As all of my cadcam desktops and laptops have more then just Mastercam for example this is my main desktop I am typing on and it has 3 versions of MC and two version of Solidworks and Inventor 2014 and Space Claim. all my laptops have MC and SW minimum all 6 of them. I do not run into conflicts in most cases.all computer run full suites of office and a few other tools so you know. Never had just computer just to run Mastercam by it self never needed it to be that way.

I am not sure what kind of Bugs you are running into allot when it comes to graphics issues and crashing some have come to being cheap video cards trying to do high end work. my Cad-Cam box's mostly run Nvida Quadro cards or Fire GL pro cards all mad for this stuff.
    You spoke of RAM it does help not on the graphics side unless you are running off a integrated video. but the min my systems for CAD-CAM run 12 gigs up to 64 gigs.

What do you run as a system now if I may ask for the specks? I hope I am being helpful.

Regards,

Jayson Kramer
    Cadcam

Intel core i5-3470 cpu @ 3.2GHz 3.6Ghz
    8GB ram
    Windows 7 home 64 bit
    NVidia GeForce GT 440
    This is what I have at home running X6
    work computer is about the same except i7 processor.

Yes very helpful. I know that reinstalling from scratch would be a big waste of time. It seems I will have to eat my words and get back to saving $$ for new video card and more ram.

Tony, I have to say that is a low end gaming card. I would consider going to a Quadro 2000 like this one on ebay
    Dell 2PNXF NVIDIA Quadro 2000 PCIe DVI 2 Display Ports Warranty | eBay

you 8 gigs of ram this not bad at all. What type work are you doing? if mainly 2-1/2 axis this will work well.you will find that when you go over to 3axis plus and large file that the Intel core i5-3470 cpu @ 3.2GHz 3.6Ghz will start to show it's colors compared to the I7. but you did get the quad core version of the I5 that is good.

My thought is for now to get an upgraded video card. I have to ask one more question after looking at the video card you are running. is your computer at home a compact syle box that it needs a low profile card?
    Cadcam

Full size case. I do a lot of 4 and 5 axis curve cuts on fairly large models. Once in a while I may have to get into some of the more advanced 5 axis stuff but thankfully not real often.
    The card on eBay seems fairly reasonable I think I may just get that in the budget for the near future and try it out.

Thanks for your time and suggestions.