586,732 active members*
3,308 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > A productive discussion about Aluminium Bar/Plate tolerance

Lightbulb A productive discussion about Aluminium Bar/Plate tolerance

Guys,

I was just wondering what is the acceptable tolerance for aluminium (i.e bow) that you can work with to make parts. For me for example I do my work, since I am a hobbyist and don't have heavy machinery with 0.004" to 0.008" tolerance. This is what I can find online. What is your preference and if you do these work what is your products tolerance? Also, if you are like me and can't mill flat your material, where do you buy good flattened materials?

Re: A productive discussion about Aluminium Bar/Plate tolerance

For me, it all depends on the product. My products are table saw blade guards and while some parts require fair tolerance say .005", others do not. I am easily able to achieve these tolerances with the machinery I have.

If you need material that is perfectly flat, you can consider cast tool plate. It is generally ground flat. Note that sometimes cutting it can warp it too. Depends on the shape and size as well as the features machined into it.

I remember sand blasting a sheet of aluminum. Maybe 1' square. When I did the first side, it really cupped that piece. Blasting the other side did correct it for the most part, but still need extra flattening done.

The type of aluminum plays a big role as well.
    Lee

Re: A productive discussion about Aluminium Bar/Plate tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    For me, it all depends on the product. My products are table saw blade guards and while some parts require fair tolerance say .005", others do not. I am easily able to achieve these tolerances with the machinery I have.

If you need material that is perfectly flat, you can consider cast tool plate. It is generally ground flat. Note that sometimes cutting it can warp it too. Depends on the shape and size as well as the features machined into it.

I remember sand blasting a sheet of aluminum. Maybe 1' square. When I did the first side, it really cupped that piece. Blasting the other side did correct it for the most part, but still need extra flattening done.

The type of aluminum plays a big role as well.
    I guess as a hobbyist, I don't need less than 0.005" or even 0.006" for my applications. But it is always good to work with and produce your own. Thanks LeeWay for your participation