Re: Upgrading a K40 moshidraw machine to DSp

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM01550.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	230298
    so this is the wrong power supply?

That is the wrong power supply for the DSP. That power supply will have a top amperage output of about 2.5amps. Of course, if the one you have can do the 24v 5a, keep it, it will work. The DSP and the associated electronics for it, require the 24v 5a supply that is provided in the upgrade kit. You do not have to replace the larger power supply, that is the one that provides power to the laser tube. Some of the DK40 machines do not have the same laser tube power supply that you already have, they need to purchase one that is PWM compatible. You have lucked out with that one you have, and so you do not have to fork over another $200 to replace your laser power supply. Tell Marco that you need the 24v 5a power supply, the DSP, and the 2 stepper drivers from the kit. Of course, you will need some wire and other small items that are available at RAT SHACK. I will try to take a picture of my unit after I did the conversion. I have also replaced the end stops In a different location. This gave me a little more cutting area. I also cut the piece of tubing on the left hand side of the guide rail short by about 1 inch. This gave me extra sized in that direction. There are many mods that can be done. I also made a manually adjustable honeycomb table. And 3d printed an air attachment. A lot can be done.

Milt

Thank you Milt you have been a help! I am going to order the parts tomorrow.

No problem

Milt

Looks like it should work to me.

Cool, so I have ordered everything hope it comes in soon. I need the laser to make plaques for my van club by April 24. Do you have a copy of the program so I can see it?

Scottbgv--any update on the progress of your upgrade? Would like to know that you are getting along with it.

Milt

I got the steppers and the power supply but I am having to wait on the DSP. I ordered it from china trying to save money and I am having a problem with them shipping it. they say they have shipped it but the tracking number has not showed any movement.

I did get the program and stuff to mess around with but it does no good without the actual DSP lol

got the dsp in the mail today!!!! headed outside to start putting it together wish me luck! I am excited

Take your time and make sure that all is connected correctly. NEVER plug in or unplug a stepper motor when there is power applied. Unplug the machine and let it be for a minute or so and then mess with the steppers. Good luck, and I am here if you need additional help.

Milt

thank you I am sure i will be in touch.

I have a K40 laser that I would also like to upgrade.

Does the DSP require special hardware like a dongle or special software like drivers etc.
    or can you drive the DSP with say GCode i.e. LinuxCNC?

no it just has a program it does require a little wiring and adding a couple parts not to sure about the gcode i am sure I am sure Milt can answer that

The DSP has its own software, but requires no dongle to operate. Marco, at Lightobjects.com, sends all purchasers of the DSP updates to the software when it is available. I use CorelDraw for most of my drawings. Corel draw files are exported to the laser program with a button in the Corel program. There are a lot of drawing extensions that are supposed to work with the DSP, but I have not tried most of them.

Milt

doing pretty good so far will update here soon

ok when i take the resistor Green thing out do i just attach the wires together? is there away of wiring the optic limit switch in to the card ? does the wires on the other limit switch matter as far as they way they are hooked up?

Yes, they will work. Radio Shack should have micro switches. Quicker than EBAY. Mount them on the top rails, one on the X and one on the Y. I mounted mine with hot melt. Did not want to start drilling into the frame.

Milt

Page 2 of 8 1234