586,138 active members*
3,560 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > A few basic questions and pseudo-introduction

A few basic questions and pseudo-introduction

Hi guys, this is actually my second post. Ive been using the search function to search for information about ballscrews and get zero hits no matter how I search, yet I see ballscrews being discussed everywhere. My main question is where can I read about changing out the leadscrew on my 4100 hi-torque 7x12 lathe with a ballscrew? Im not so much curious about the actual procedure, I can get it in there, Im more curious about ballscrews themselves--what does preloaded mean, and what other things should I know about before I take this on? I did read a ballscrew questions thread, but it was assumed you were already familiar with the things Im asking about. Is there another thread that covers the basic basics?

As I said, I have the 7x12 hi-torque mini lathe from little machine shop. Im very happy with this machine. Ive been in the shop the whole of my working life and figured that these small machines would take a lot of getting used to and leave much to be desired, boy was I wrong! Just playing around with the 7x10's at harbor freight I can tell such a huge difference in quality compared to my machine it really makes me happy that I decided to spend a few dollars more(actually almost double) on a better machine. While I was at it I also ordered the 3 axis cnc kit from hobbycnc.com with the pro board and 305oz steppers. I am waiting on the milling attachment from little machine shop, which is on backorder for another month, it will play host to the third stepper.

Another mod I plan to do either at the same time or before the cnc conversion and ballscrew is switching to tapered roller bearings in the spindle. I read somewhere that you shouldnt start this mod without a second lathe available, but not everyone says that, just one site. What do you guys think about that? Thats almost a deal breaker for me since I dont have a second lathe or access to one easily.Also, is there any reason why I couldnt just replace the front bearing only since it is what takes the majority of the load?

Thanks for any words of wisdom you might have!

Re: A few basic questions and pseudo-introduction

Not sure if this will help......... it's a pdf............ page 21 has some info about preload
    http://www.nskamericas.com/cps/rde/x...w_Tutorial.pdf
    I'm reading it now
    Walking is highly over-rated