586,724 active members*
3,935 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 3 123
    That's a lot of stuff to fit in there
    I'm done with mine, just need the VFD for the spindle and some taper 40 tool holders to start cutting.
    I already tested it with a marker tied to the spindle with some zip ties.
    I'll post the video later today.
    I'm still lost in the motor tunning section.
    Maybe you can help me out.
    I'll post more info later on today and maybe we can figure it out.
    Thanks

I'd be glad to help with the tuning. Do you have a problem with acceleration or skipping?

hey Barry what CAD-CAM software are you using??
    I tried Bobcad but not too happy!!
    Please let me know

Autocad for .dxf files and for quickie 2D stuff

Ironcad for 3D (it's odd and everybody laughs at me but I can whip out 3D models fast. I've run it for years - the company has changed names 3 times and I still stick with 'em - I'm something like owner number 11)
    We use SolidWorks for some designs at work, but I find that I can get the concept across faster with ironcad.

Also CorelDraw rocks. If you give it a chance, you can use it for art and 2D scale drawings. I do labels with corel after importing the mechanical from acad. The Shiz panel that you saw will be done in Corel. Corel's printer driver is very good too. I will regularly use it to scale photos and add art, then print. You can tile output sheets if you need bigger than 8.5X11 printouts.

My one (and soon 2) machines use DeskCNC and controller. It's not perfect, but it's very good once you get past a couple of odd behaviours.
    It does .dxf in, .stl in, gerber & excellon files for PCBD's and has editor and graphics modes that work pretty cool. When you have gcode loaded it shows the paths; click on a point and it pops you to the gcode line that gets you to the point. It's a light to mid weight machine controller - cam converter in one package that fairly cheap ~$300USD

I started with TurboCNC but it ran away a few times and I did not care to have my machine ruined.

B

Looking to Buy the VFD,so Barry I have a question.
    What should I get??
    variable torque ??? or sensorless vector constant torque??
    I found Hitachi variable torque for about $285.00 and the sensorless vector constant torque for about $350.00.They are both Hitachi.
    Any other sugestions? as Brands?/
    THanks

I'm no expert on VFD's but Vector drives blow away older VFD (variable frequency drive) technology.

Vector drives contain the math to induce current into the motor's rotor even when it's not turning (much) I'd hunt on ebay - you should be able to get a much better deal than you quoted.

I have a couple of Siemens drives that are very nice. The programming (or setup as it's sometimes called) can be daunting - there are a lot of parameters to set to get the drive to realy connect to the particulars of your motor.

Also a lot of the drives take 480 volts, something that's not in many housholds.

Page 3 of 3 123