586,469 active members*
3,150 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

bridgeport z axis oiling

How can I be sure the z axis ball nut/screw are getting proper lubrication. When the weather got a little colder the z axis motor is being pushed to its limit and sometimes shuts off the program being run because of a fault. How can i verify its getting lube, and should I change to a thinner way oil because of the weather? Any recommendations? Thanks

What machine? What ambient temp?

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

bridgeport boss

with a centroid controller. Its in an unheated garage in michigan, 40 degrees maybe?

Forgot to mention series I variable speed head. Thanks

Re

buy a heater

machine is not designed to run at 40 f

it isn't a snowblower

Smile

where are you in michigan? im in Flint
    Dar

This is NOT a scientific way to tell. How ever I"m suspecting that you suspect something because it may have stopped doing it or slowed down.

But mine is pretty old and after sitting a day or 2 or more on the first start up it will sling oil off the quil on startup. (learned to hang a rag up on the first power up of the day.... That is how I know it must be getting some lube some where up there.

I'd suspect the temps are not good for things over all. Don't know what lube would be better for the cold. Sure some one will suggeste a synthetic or something maybe. Mine is in my basement so I don't have issues with temps so much.

b.

I live in Ohio, same situation. No problems with cold weather besides coolant freezing. I use a mister, so if the air temp is below 40*, the coolant freezes at the tip of the mister due to expanding gasses laws. (adabiotic process=spell check)

I would check the alignment of your ballscrew. I also use the Elrod retro, which I believe is what you have on your mill. Make sure the screw that clamps the ballnut to the quill drive is not too tight. It shouldn't be an issue.

I live in BC, Canada and when my garage was unheated, I used to "tent" my cnc over night with a small space heater tucked inside. Once it was running it seemed to produce enough heat to keep it moving.
    December to February / March ambients hit -15 Cel. (9 deg F) in my neck of the woods
    9 1/2
    B.C.I.T. Machinist CNC

thanks for the ideas

Thanks for the suggestions!

MC-Motorsports, where do you get access to the ball nut? I can't figure it out without pulling the variable drive pulleys and cover off. This is a boss machine with a centroid controller. You might be talking about one with a z axis bolted on? If not, can you give me some pointers. Thanks