586,728 active members*
3,035 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Pocket help

Pocket help

Hi,

Is it possible to create a pocket toolpath such that it only pockets outside the surfaces that you choose? Ex: I pocket the inside of a rectangle, then mount the rectangle on a jig so that I can pocket out the outside of the piece which will have some shape. My problem occurs that if I just select the outside surfaces than it will pocket everything and just leave a thin wall that is the surface. If I select the top surface and the side surfaces, it will repocket the inside that has already been done. I also tried the restmill and told it to machine all of the material that is left over, but for some reason it goes back and machines the inside even though it is completely finished. Am I going down the right path or should I try something else or is it not possible?

Thanks for the help,

Sebastian

Can you share your file with me as I can show you most likly a few options.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

A simple approach is to create a flat boundary surface above the areas you want to keep the tool out of. Then you can "pocket" away the rest of the outer material.

but I think there is a better way just need to see the file if you please.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Hi,

Sorry that I did not get back to this yesterday as I was extremely busy. I am in class right now, so when classes will be done I'm going to run over to the lab and post the MC9 file. I do however have the Solidworks file that I can post right now.

Thanks

Sebastian
    Attached Files Attached Files

I am looking at your part and 97% of this is 2d pockets and contours so I am not sure what you want to do.

Please advise.

Later on I could probly run thru this part at my lunch time and share my MC-X file with you.
    Cadcam

Hi Cadcam,

Here is my V9 file. Two questions:

1- I got the inside to pocket how I wanted. At this point I will install the device into a jig and would like to pocket the outside material to the bounding box. I can't get it to just pocket that area.

2- Is it possible to get the toolpath to not retract when it is pocketing? I noticed that after a couple of depth cuts, it retracts and then does a couple more layers before it retracts again.

Thanks a lot for the help,

Sebastian

I will be repost your file this after noon.
    Cadcam

Hi TTraptor
    Thanks to the help of CadCam I now know how to keep the tool down in operations its the gap settings, thanks heaps.
    I have up loaded your file again I think this is what your after, you just have to set up your containment boundary.
    just play around to get your tolerances right.

Beaker I dont think he has VX just V9 so he may not be able to open it.
    Would you cut it that way trufly?

But I know you were answering the main question thow.
    Also a good call on it.
    Cadcam

Hey,

I opened up the file on school computers but it is still missing the main problem. Thanks beaker for showing me how to stop the tool from retracting. Is it possible to have it create a toolpath that pockets the area between the object and the bounding box without having to import a new drawing that only contains the outer shape of the object?

Thanks

Sebastian

I am trying to see why you want to surface this part as I see so far this is the most inafisent way to cut this part or you just want to know how to surface a part.

what is the instructor asking you to do?
    Cadcam

Sorry about wrong version, opened it as v9 and just forgot about it, spend too much time at work.
    If was to cut it that way I don't think i'd have a job for long, imagine the cycle times for a simple part.
    The file I posted did clear the area between the bounding box and your part.

Hey,

The reason is curiosity and personal machine use. This is not for a class, I use the software to program the toolpaths for my benchtop mill at home. Since it is a small self converted cnc mill, I do not want to make big cuts with it. Due to that reason, I don't want to make a finish contour path as it will then start to cut about 2 cm of solid aluminum because of the small extensions on the side. Also, since this is for my own projects and not production or profit time is not a factor.

Thanks

Sebastian

Depth Cuts - Keep tool down.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com