586,260 active members*
2,894 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Looking for a BR80/150

Does anyone want to share any input on this model? we are looking into getting one.
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

Re: Looking for a BR80/150

New BR-80's come in X axis 100", 150" and 200"

Older BRs' 100 " was standard and 150" was an option. A few 350" X were also made.

Miltro made a move to a new BR machine last year. heavier machine with full enclosure, roller ways, big plus spindle +++ about $270,000 new

here is a link to a used BR80 X150 Milltronics BR80 CNC Vertical Bridge Mill Machining Center New 2007 | eBay

AMCsales is a Miltronics dealer in Ohio and they have a very good reputation for service and support.

As with ANY large machine, flooring and set up is crucial. 99.9% of flooring is not any where near straight or level. Across large travels level and tram can be a real BEAR. Depending on your tolerances special footings 12 to 24" of reinforced concrete may be needed. most concrete is laid out in sections and when placing ANY machine across these different sections the machine will move ( winter freeze, spring thaw) IT WILL MOVE.

That being said.
    The Milltronics machines are a good quality built machine and should serve your purposes well. The older BR's are a "medium duty" weldment type machine. look for a newer machine with a C6/C7 control with Yaskawa drives.( newer controls and drives are easier to service, if needed)

ASK most any one on this site about the Milltronics control. easy to use, easy to program, powerful programming capabilities.( conversational, M&G code, macro "parametric" (Think an arced and curved 5 bladed fan in 13 lines of code)) way cool stuff , "if you get your head around the math"

All in all I think you will find the BR a good value and should serve you well.

Sportybob

Re: Looking for a BR80/150

Thanks Bob but I really don't understand the level floor thing. All the CNCs we have ever had big or small don't care if the floor is level they can be made level on any reasonable floor. We are fortunate to have a thermally stable floor within floor heat in the cooler months. Rumor has it there is a upgrade that can be done to the latest Centurian controller for only $3K. The controller could be really simple for us as we program almost 100% with Mastercam but the conversation is a nice added feature. I have been to Milltronics a few times and checked out their machines. I would love to see some pictures on a 350" travel BR machine. I wonder what they drove it with? Ballscrew? That is a beast.

Most of what we will be doing is mild steel weldments. We will be using a lot of right angle heads and facemilling.
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.