586,404 active members*
2,483 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Grizzly G0602 Hybrid CNC build ?

Grizzly G0602 Hybrid CNC build ?

Hey guys, I am new to the whole Forum post thing so sorry if i am posting this in the wrong spot or anything, but the bottom line is i have had my G0602 for a while now and want to do a CNC conversion, but the thing is it is the only lathe that i have at my house and i still love doing Manual turning for alot of my projects, i know with alot of the Mill conversions you can keep the handles on and still use it to manually mill. I was wondering if anybody has done a conversion on the Grizzly G0602 where it can be completely CNC, but also still be used to manually turn with. I have searched the internet high and low and have not found a thing so I am guessing it probably hasn't been done ?

Thanks for any help in advance guys.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by LJMfab View Post
    Hey guys, I am new to the whole Forum post thing so sorry if i am posting this in the wrong spot or anything, but the bottom line is i have had my G0602 for a while now and want to do a CNC conversion, but the thing is it is the only lathe that i have at my house and i still love doing Manual turning for alot of my projects, i know with alot of the Mill conversions you can keep the handles on and still use it to manually mill. I was wondering if anybody has done a conversion on the Grizzly G0602 where it can be completely CNC, but also still be used to manually turn with. I have searched the internet high and low and have not found a thing so I am guessing it probably hasn't been done ?

Thanks for any help in advance guys.
    Its been done many times over.

Instead of using primitive manual handles, add a rotary hand wheel encoder or even a pair to your conversion.

http://tinyurl.com/m9jb24p

Welcome to the Zone,

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

hey thanks alot for the reply Jalessi, it is much appreciated :cheers:

It's called an MPG or manual pulse generator. If you google that, you should come up with a BUNCH of information. That's the term you need to use, and you can find what you want.

Hey Jeff do you know where in CNC zone i could search for someone who is using this on their conversion i want to get an idea of how people are setting them up. I have never built a DIY CNC, i only own full sized CNC equipment that came that way, so im new to the whole benchtop cnc thing although i love it because i can protype at home instead of driving to the shop

yea i know what MPG is i have it on my other machines but i have to switch between axis's i want to figure out how to hook it up where i can run both axis's at the same time just like if i were using the machining manually. I dont think i will use it a whole lot but would be nice to have. I have a couple people using it for that purpose on camera setups and such but none for a lathe, so i wanted to see if anyone knew where to find pics or vids of how others were setting it up on there lathes like this.

Duplicate Post
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

JMfab,

Somewhere there may be video available on the subject however its a relatively easy task to configure Mach3 for multiple hand wheel encoders "MPG's".

A Pokey 56U will handle the required I/O for both.

Mach3 requires a free downloadable Plugin in order for Pokey56U to function.

See attached link for more information.

Polabs - Affordable PC USB oscilloscopes, logic analyzers and USB interfaces

PoKeys56U

In the past there have been many factory equipped CNC lathes (domestic as well as import) with multiple MPG hand wheels.

Jeff...

thanks guys i just figured it all out, there are some real nice quality dual axis MPGs available that work through mach 3 only thing im having trouble figuring out now is if i have to buy another break out board of some sort or where the MPG wires into im guessing the stepper control aux inputs ?

So it looks like this is the one I am going to install, I love how it's got all the options and I can build it right into my bench, from the looks of the wiring diagram it wires right into the stepper control, they aren't very clear about it in the ,manual or site. But I'm sure I will figure it out when I get it. Thanks for the help guys, I think I picked a great forum you guys all seem really helpful.

Link to MPG
    CNC4PC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This looks very interesting. If you don't mind, would you post with your findings once you get this setup? I would be interested in using this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LJMfab View Post
    So it looks like this is the one I am going to install, I love how it's got all the options and I can build it right into my bench, from the looks of the wiring diagram it wires right into the stepper control, they aren't very clear about it in the ,manual or site. But I'm sure I will figure it out when I get it. Thanks for the help guys, I think I picked a great forum you guys all seem really helpful.

Link to MPG
    CNC4PC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The panel will either interface with a second parallel port or the Pokey like I suggested.

The Pokey is a cleaner solution (single USB connection) and does not require a additional parallel port.

The Pokey has 55 I/O verses 8+3 for a parallel port.

The downside to using a Pokey is the cost differential.

Arturo's documentation is sometimes a bit confusing (lacking details) however there are several members here that will offer help.

Jeff...

Awesome they sell PoKeys boards on their site as well ill just have to figure out which one of them is appropriate for my application i guess. Thanks Jeff !