586,510 active members*
2,917 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Rhino 3D > Rhino 5 and Rhino Cad

Rhino 5 and Rhino Cad

Has anyone used these together and how do you like them if so? I would like to get some feedback before spending money.

I am currently using Rhino 4 and Sprutcam 7, Rhino works fine but Sprutcam leaves a bit to be desired, can be really quirky at times etc. and I am wondering if all cam programs tend to be this way, or is it just Sprut?

any input appreciated on this.
    mike sr

Assuming you mean Rhino CAM, yes, I've been using it for a while and I like it a lot - enough to feel confident enough in it to sell it to others. I find it a big time-saver not to have to switch between CAD and CAM programs to make minor changes. I suppose it has its quirks - don't we all? - but fortunately it also comes with excellent tech support, so you don't stay stuck for long.

Andrew Werby
    301 Moved Permanently
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Thanks Andrew for your input,
    I am thinking about a switch sometime when I can justify it, I did mean CAM, I dont know how to edit the title bar, my mistake.

thanks
    mike sr

I'm using Rhinocam for years. The greater bug for me is memory leak.
    It's crash with heavy files. Also it save toolpath in 3dm file, makes it heavier.
    I mean x32 version. If you working with .3dm 100Mb or more, you'll meet crashes, and need to reload Rhino time to time to free memory.
    With .3dm more than 300-350Mb you cannot calculate advanced 3D toolpath.
    The reason is it takes same memory with rhino4.exe with file loaded in RAM. When you calculate toolpath it takes much more of RAM. And when total of it reach 3.2 Gb Rhinocam crashes.
    Also rhinocam not free memory after TP calc. Try to to run and 3D TP creation process few times, it's reach 3.2 Gb, than crashes.
    Major workflow problem - Rhinocam need only curve or flat surface as area to make TP. You need to make it by silhouette, surface intersect or something by rhino, then join it before making tp. No way to use whole object or part of it as input for TP.

Melkiades,
    Thanks for the input, I have a similar memory problem with Sprutcam. I am thinking about loading the machine with more memory, usually it isnt a problem but on some files I have to save and reload a few times to get it to work right or it just crashes.
    I guess the CAM programs are more likely to have this fault as they use lots of memory.
    I use a Toshiba laptop with 4 gig of memory I5 processor, its fast enough but slow due to lack of enough memory sometimes. I just do small parts some with 3d holes mainly as a hobby.

Sometimes if the IGS files arent perfect it will cause problems as well with the CAM, The files check out good in Rhino as a solid, but sometimes they wont CAM correctly, I can redraw the part and it will work fine after that.

I am new to CAD and CAM, about 2 years now so I have a lot to learn!

Thank you for your help.
    mike sr

I'm processing STL reliefs, and use this software for woodworking.
    Solids should work perfect. I had problem with drilling in rhinocam - tool goes not up after drill, and break.
    But i think it was problem my chinese 0501 DSP unit. Now I'm using small tool for hole pocketing, all works fine for me.
    Best Ram consumer is ArtCAM. It can work on any modern PC, and makes TP very fast.
    Good luck to your business!

Re: Rhino 5 and Rhino Cad

I'm a little late to this discussion, but you should take a look at madCAM too. It is integrated much better into Rhino than the MecSoft products (not knocking MecSoft, just stating a fact).
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I testing madCAM 5 now.
    Two problem i met for a while:
    1. No 2D processing.
    2. Too slow 3D toolpath creation. May be by my fault.

Memory using very good comparing RhinoCAM

Can you explain "No 2D processing"? We use it for 2D profiles, pocketing, engraving etc. all the time.

"Too slow 3D toolpath creation". Have you adjusted the model tolerances as specified in the help file? The best way to do it is to create a template and use that with madCAM. I find the toolpath creation to be very fast. Obviously your computer is a factor as well.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Do you mean this?
    Attachment 234778

I still learning it. May be i misunderstood input, you should agree that Madcam have different workflow. Easier than RhinoCAM, IMHO, but i need to understand it first.
    Rhinocam have similar strategies like engraving in 2D and 3D processing separately.

I'm obviously try to make 3d finish for big mesh. I didn't check tolerance, just start TP calc with defaults.
    I seems to be my fault, i'm newbe with this software.
    Thank you for suggest.

Yeah, having tolerances too tight can make madCAM very slow to process. When you adjust them as described in the help file (then save it as a template for next time) you should see a great improvement in processing time.

Dan