Hopefully someone can help with this - I sent a previous round that seemed to work well with this forum.

I am not a machinist, just helping a friend with his machine. He had a Partner 1 which he updated to a Centurion 6 SBC. After a few years, the electromechanical portion of the Partner puked. There were so many problems, he decided to scrap it. However, he kept the card cage, because it was updated.

He also has a VM16, with the older original control (non-SBC). Originally we tried to update it to accept a network, but he decided it wasn't worth the risk of pulling the simdisk from that controller. Now, he would like to replace the controller with the SBC card cage that he upgraded the Partner with, to gain a bit more capability. However, we found a few problems.

The first problem is with the IO. The IO card ports are different between the Partner 1 and the VM16. I don't believe this is a major issue, as I think we can disassemble the cage and place the new motherboard (SBC) into the VM card cage, and place the IO card into the new main board, eliminating the issue.

If that is the case, will it be simply a case of bringing the system up and replacing the Partner parameters with the VM16 parameters?

Thanks in advance for your help!