586,790 active members*
2,637 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Question need advice on softwares

Newbie here looking for advice on softwares.

I plan on getting Mach 3 to drive my machine. I'm wondering if lazycam that comes standard with Mach3, will it handle most jobs? will lazycam do 4axis paths as well?

I've also been looking at Cambam and was wondering the same thing....will it handle most jobs? will it do 4axis paths as well?

Not sure if I need to get Cambam if lazycam will handle what i need.

Was looking at this package to get me up and running...
    CamBam + Mach3 + CutViewer bundle

Advice? Suggestions?

LazyCAM won't handle any 3D jobs, and does rather poorly at 2.5D. It certainly doesn't have any 4th axis capabilities. Cambam works better, but it's only for 3-axis milling. If you're looking for a relatively inexpensive program that supports the 4th axis, download DeskProto DeskProto: 3D CNC machining for non-machinists. STL file milling for any CNC milling machine and try it free for a month, once you've got your machine running.

Andrew Werby
    301 Moved Permanently

i've watch some videos on CNCToolkit which is a script for 3dMax which is the software i'd be using, along with zbrush for most of my work.
    Although it looks a little simplistic..but maybe thats alright?

cnc toolkit very ok, if you already practiced with 3dstudio... or gmax.. however cnctoolkit for 3d cuts.. even for continuous rotary work..

I think cambam also a great sw.. for 150 theres not too many option..

does deskproto handle 2d and 2.5d jobs very well...just simply import a vector file and setup everything easily within software?

No, DeskProto has no 2.5D features. It can deal with 2d vector input for engraving over 3D shapes, but it won't make a pocket defined by a 2D shape. Anything like that has to be in the mesh model to be cut.

Andrew Werby
    301 Moved Permanently

any other suggestions on software that can handle 2d, 2.5d, 3d and fourth axis cutting?? is there an all in one package aimed at the home user?

Meshcam does 2.5D and I think it will do 4th axis - I'm sure to be corrected quickly if that's not true.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Tapatalk

What is your budget?

Full 4th axis capability will probably add significantly to the price. If you only need that somewhere down the road, it may make sense to buy a package that can be upgraded in steps. A good way to start is to check the listings on CNCCookbook's recent CAM poll (or note the CAM manufacturer sections here) and start downloading trials and trying them out.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by notimeforwork View Post
    Meshcam does 2.5D and I think it will do 4th axis - I'm sure to be corrected quickly if that's not true.

MeshCAM does indexed 4th axis, not continuous.

And it doesn't do true 2.5D.
    It uses 3D models to create 2D toolpaths.

Using MeshCAM to Cut 2D Objects

DXF to G Code - GRZ Software Blog

I'm a MeshCAM user, but I don't use it for 2.5D work. There are many people that do, though and are very happy with it. MeshCAM's 2.5D Method can be much faster than normal 2.5D CAM, because it's more automated.

There are very few low priced 4 axis options. You basically have DeskProto, and BobCAD. Or CNC Toolkit for free if you're adventurous.
    If you want to mix 2.5D and 3D in a low cost package, then look at CamBam. I think it's the only hobby oriented package that does both 2.5D and 3D.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I also use meshcam, for a novice it's a good program - my complaints are only two, one is that it doesn't optimize toolpaths very well, and jobs are longer than they should be - the other is that occasionally it does some weird things with stl files (I haven't an example at the tip of my fingers to validate this, but it does it) and I haven't found a workaround.

I also use meshcam, for a novice it's a good program - my complaints are only two, one is that it doesn't optimize toolpaths very well, and jobs are longer than they should be - the other is that occasionally it does some weird things with stl files (I haven't an example at the tip of my fingers to validate this, but it does it) and I haven't found a workaround.
    I would think that if you compare MeshCAM with comparable CAM programs (Cut3D, CamBam with .stl files), you'll find the toolpaths are equal or better.
    As far as jobs taking to long, that's typically due to using MashCAM to cut 2.5D parts. Any 2.5D parts cut using an .stl file are going to take longer to cut than if using a 2.5D CAM program and a 2D drawing.

Can't comment on the "wierd things". I don't know what you're talking about, but I've never seen any. COuld possibly be an issue with the output from your particular CAD program? Have you asked Robert about it?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I haven't tried many other cam programs, so you may be correct, my complaint may be consistent with other programs - I found meshcam extremely easy to get started with a limited knowledge of machining. Other programs, during this stage of the learning process, seemed too complex and overwhelming with features at a time when my learning curve was (and still is) almost peaked with a cad/cam/machining hobby. I think this thread started with a person who hasn't yet got a machine running and is investigating the potential software packages. If I had advice to offer, start small, 2d software is dirt cheap - some is even free. Get a bit of knowledge and a few completed projects under your belt to know at least a few things before overwhelming yourself with several 30 day trial packages to evaluate at the same time. Opinions here are valuable but subjective, and although it's not quite a ford vs Chevrolet comparison people have favourites they tend to migrate towards. Ger21 seems typical in that he has several software options and picks the one he finds easiest for any particular job - which seems to be the way I am headed, since I picked up and learned how to use a few of the cheaper options before shelling out for a bit pricier solution. I still like estlecam - and I use it regularly, it's cheap and dirty, and I don't care if some cnc snobs laugh at me for using it - next to mach 3, it's the biggest bang you'll get for your buck.

we dont laugh just because you using a cheap sw..
    good example, the F engrave what is free... generate a great code.. in my opinion same good code than other paying programs..

tested meshcam and it is NOT slower than any other program.. certain way under same conditions..

weird thing about meshcam, if any, that not better known.. not more popular than it is..

contacted a couple of the more 'commercial' oriented cam options and some do offer hobbyist pricing $1000-under.
    I would rather have a more complete package and pay a little more than use two or three cheaper software to do the same job. I would rather have something that I can grow into rather than have something that is lacking functionality.

Anyone have opinions on BobCad/Cam and Dohphin Cad/Cam software, they offer hobbyist pricing as mentioned above.

Will have to dig through their sites to compare what i can...

thanks for the information so far.

Ger21 seems typical in that he has several software options and picks the one he finds easiest for any particular job
    I don't use the "easiest" one for the job. I use the "best" one for the job.

2.5D jobs are done with 2D drawings and my own 2D CAM (AutoCAD macro). 3D jobs are done with Meshcam or Aspire.

If I used a 3D CAD like Solidworks, then my workflow would probably be different.

For a lot of people, price has a lot to do with their CAM choice. While ease of use can be a deciding factor in choosing a CAM package, I wouldn't try to use a 3D CAM packagge to do a 2.5D part, just because it's easier.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

....this is why i'm looking for a more 'complete' package that can handle all of this 2d, 2.5, 3d, true 4th axis.
    For the most part I would be using 3dmax and Zbrush as my main CAD apps for 3d...possibly some 2d paths as well. lf the software handles 2d and 2.5 very well then i would probably opt to generate the paths within the CAD/CAM package.

Meshcam would be out for me if it doesn't do continuous 4th axis...onto the other options....

there are many more ""complete"" package..
    they just need some prior experience to start with them..

theres no really universal cam program..

counting on the few that exist, they are either expenses or way out what beginners can handle..

mastercam or delcam powermill that can be considered complete cam program.. no way that one without experience just start to use them..

bobcad has the express what closely complex on a level that beginners can learn..

next could be visualmill "same" like bobcad can be expanded up to 5 axis.. its already cost more than bobcad express..

next is artcam express tough it already lacking the true 3d options its already very low cost, and with postprocessorediting you can get a ""4th axis""

from here price is going up quickly..

my opinion is start out with the free F-engrave to learning how vcarving, pocketing profiling works, also freemill by mecsoft makes toolpath easyly on reliefs.. or any 3d object one side..

then after something ""under your belt"" then start to looking for what really need or affordable..

gerry is right about autocad, but very few people picks up autocad within days or weeks..
    also to working dirctly drawn toolpaths need prior experiment.. tough it is not hard, but without experiment can be very confusing..

one thing is sure..
    on one hand you have to learn cad, and other hand you have to learn machining..

Ger21 - I don't use the "easiest" one for the job. I use the "best" one for the job.

Ger21,

My point was more intended to show that a typical person has, over time accumulated a few programs to use and, that at the hobby level a one size fits all solution is out of the question due to pricing. I wasn't trying to poke holes in your process, and I don't feel like arguing over semantics - I see that using you as an example was a mistake, my apologies.

Page 1 of 2 12