586,608 active members*
3,452 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc OT RS232 Communication

Hello Everyone,

I have a Takisawa TC-1 Turning Center with a Fanuc OT controller that I had picked up back in November of last year. When I purchased the machine it was uploading and downloading programs without any problems, but after I moved it back to my shop it will no longer do that. I have checked all the plugins and wire connectors and found nothing wrong with them. When I go to upload or download it will give me a 086 p/s alarm. I have double quadruple checked the wiring on the cable and everything looks to be right. I hooked a rs232 tester in line but I'm not sure how to read it. If anyone could give some advise or know what could be causing this that would be great.

Thanks,
    Cody

Hi,
    tell me what number did you hage on setting page in I/O
    after you can try that , make a dummy DB25 male connector with a jumper between 6, 8 and 20 , connect it on the nc and try to enter something in your nc .... Lsk must blink on right bottom of the screen without alarm

The setting for I/O was set at zero. I tried the dummy plug but no go still. I get a flash of LSK but then it goes right to the 086 alarm again.

Thanks for the reply,
    Cody

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I have a Takisawa TC-1 Turning Center with a Fanuc OT controller that I had picked up back in November of last year. When I purchased the machine it was uploading and downloading programs without any problems, but after I moved it back to my shop it will no longer do that. I have checked all the plugins and wire connectors and found nothing wrong with them. When I go to upload or download it will give me a 086 p/s alarm. I have double quadruple checked the wiring on the cable and everything looks to be right. I hooked a rs232 tester in line but I'm not sure how to read it. If anyone could give some advise or know what could be causing this that would be great.

Thanks,
    Cody
    Hi Cody,
    Check the voltage at the DB25 connecter of the Control between pin 20 and Ground; it should be around 12VDC. If you find that its less than 5VDC then you have a problem with the control.

Its likely that the connector at the PC is a DB9. That being so, a work around is to bridge pins 6 and 8 of the DB25 Male connector at the machine end of the cable and then connect these to pin 4 of the DB9 connector at the PC end of the cable.

Regards,

Bill

You could have fried the RS232 receiver IC, I use a 3 wire cable with 4-5 and 6-8-20 jumpered.
    I always recommend feeding the PC off of a 120v socket fed from the machine control itself, rather than a separate wall outlet.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Hi Bill, I measured the voltage at pin 20 and got -10VDC. Yes the other end is DB9 but it goes to a flash link thumb drive system.

Hi Al, I couldn't find a 120v outlet on the machine itself? I have it hooked to a Flash link system so I just used the cable that Jerry from highlanddnc supplied with it. It has 4-5/ 6-8-20 jumpered together. I'm not sure if it is 3 wire though. If the Receiver IC was fried would that not allow both uploading and downloading to work? I believe there is a receiver and sending chip correct? Also the Flash Link system power was coming from a nearby outlet.

Thanks for all the replies everyone I got to get this fixed because I think my fingers are about to fall off from typing all the programs in by hand! lol