586,137 active members*
3,778 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > X3/SX3/G0619/G0463 > Help me decide - SX3 cnc conversion or PM-45M-CNC or...

Help me decide - SX3 cnc conversion or PM-45M-CNC or...

I already have a grizzly g0619 and love it for what it is.

I would love to have a Tormach PCNC 1100, but can't spring for it just yet. I figure in 2-3 years I'll be ready to "move up".

In the meantime I'd like to get a "starter" CNC up and running. I have a small CNC router and am ready to upgrade to something more stout. I'm already comfortable with CAD/CAM/MACH3

Here are my choices at the moment:

Sell the CNC router for ~$1500 and use the money toward a nice CNC conversion (~$1800).

Sell the CNC router *and* the SX3 for around $3000 and use toward a ready-to-run CNC mill like a PM-45M-CNC.

I'm open to suggestions.

I've read through a bunch of the CNC conversion threads here and am ok with the idea of the conversion with the exception of the z axis. My SX3 definitely cuts slightly differently if the z-axis is not locked. I get a more accurate cut if it's locked (duh). Yet, to run as a CNC it needs to remain unlocked. I haven't seen a good solution to that aspect yet. Ideas?

Anyway, if a converted SX3 runs as well as the PM-45 machine (or equiv if there's one out there), then there's no reason to wait and save up for one. Is there another CNC in that $5-6000 range?

Remember, I've already got a computer run Mach3, as well as some tooling.

I would be running this as a "support" to my business. I'm not a machinist, not even a hobby machinist. I don't need an auto tool changer, power drawbar, full enclosure, etc. Just the basic setup is ok with me.

Recommendations?

Re: Help me decide - SX3 cnc conversion or PM-45M-CNC or...

I have a converted X3 with pre-loaded ball screws, gecko 203v et all, full set up on my mill. I am looking to sell the cnc portion of it all if you are interested for you mill.
    www.kosracing.com

Re: Help me decide - SX3 cnc conversion or PM-45M-CNC or...

sure - PM me price/info