586,655 active members*
2,876 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Smile CNC Axis Calculator

As a project to help get me started programming in C#, I've made an axis calculator to help with CNC router axis calculations.

I thought someone else might get some use out of too, so I'm uploading it here.

It seems to wotk ok, but it's my first attempt at coding so it might be a bit buggy. (chair)

As it's a ".net" application, you'll need the .net framework to get it to run.
    You can get that here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Here's a screenshot:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AxisCalc.gif  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by MrBean
    As a project to help get me started programming in C#, I've made an axis calculator to help with CNC router axis calculations.
    Wow! This has come on heaps since version 1.
    me : leadscrew pitch == 0.8mm, desired mm/min == 1500
    mrbean : You must be on crack man! Ha Ha.

OK, here's your first feature request...
    Save all the settings to a config file which gets opened at startup, so it remembers your previous calculations.

First bug (maybe)! I think the calculation is ignoring the Gear ratio ignore checkbox.

Yup, your program has confirmed my suspicions...my machine is officially a slow donkey. Gotta get bigger pitch leadscrews

Excellent work! Power to the sandals!!

Mr Bean, A good and generous effort. Thanks. I like stuff like this 'cos I usually get this wrong first time round..

Suggestion; how about adding a variable for multi start leadscrews? You know, 1/2-10 two start where the lead is .2... I know its covered by setting leadscrew pitch directly but pitch, tpi and lead are not always the same thing...

Now, How it calculate Cutting / Thrust / Friction Force ?

I think that you have a small bug in your code. When I put in .250 for pitch and run the numbers it comes out fine but if I switch it to tpi and put 4 in the numbers don't work out the same. Working in inches if it makes a diffenece. Nice work though.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Mr Bean do you have anything for use poor guys running rack and pinion Drives

There's a few bugs in there. I'll try and squish a few of them.
    I'm not a real programmer, so it's not easy for me.
    I'm just tinkering with C# really.:drowning:

In INCH's. It seems that "TPI" is using the function from the "Pitch" calculation.
    So when you try (Pitch = 0.25") it works out correctly.
    When you do (TPI = 4) it's calculating as if in Pitch mode still. So (Pitch = 4) Oooops. Basically anything you enter is classed as Pitch for now.

I think for rack and pinion, the Beltdrive mode would work. The belt would be your rack, and the drive pulley, your pinion.

Cheers Guys....

Mr Bean,

What's the latest on this. How is it going, I think it has worked for me.

Any ideas's of how I can work out my force that I will have on my gantry with a belt reduction etc?

Apples
    Australia