586,444 active members*
2,973 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Fadal VMC 40 opinions?

Fadal VMC 40 opinions?

Anyone have experience with one of these?

1990 model with a 10k spindle. I'm thinking of buying it. I would need to run complex 3D surfacing programs so I'd need to use DNC as I am sure it wont' have enough memory to hold the programs (2-3MB each). Anyone know what speed you can connect to it via the RS232 for DNC?

I know lots of people bash on Fadal, but realistically I would be doing 95% cutting acrylic on this machine and I don't need super tight tolerances. The rest of the machining would be cutting 6061 aluminum for bike parts where holding tenths, again, is not all that necessary.

So, what is a reasonable street price of such a machine? It doesnt have rigid tapping or any options really - just the base machine, 10k spindle, Fadal88 control.

price...10k round about, seen them for 9-12k. Options don't seem to matter much on machines like this for some reason unless itis a pallet changer or another axis.

Be prepared to make some repairs, spring washers, maybe spindle, counterweight sprocket and chains, maybe monitor, etc. etc.

If youcan get a close look at it, watch it run and get a feel for what will need to be R+Rd. Use that as a haggling tool.

I have a VMC15 (model the 40 turned into) and they do show their age at some point.

They DNC programs pretty easily.

Nervis 1 --
    Just to keep the record correct the VMC 15 became the VMC 2016L. Both are linear way machines. The VMC 40 became the VMC 2216 which are box way machines.
    I would agree that the machine should be seen under power. Listen to the ball screws. Observe tell tail signs of abuse. With the power off "feel" the spindle. It should be smooth as glass. (just a few little hints)

Neal

Ah, thanks.

Bought one of these used myself about 5 years ago, it was a total disaster. Check it under power! We didn't and payed dearly. Seems Fadal glues "turcite"(dense plastic) onto the gibs to reduce friction, the glue failed on nearly all the gibs resulting in about .06 play in the head assembly and in the X axis on the table. Also found under the way covers that some of the plastic oil lines had cracked so way oil was never making it to the box ways, just pumping into the craddle area under the table. Best of luck.
    http://onedropyoyos.com/yoyos/

No doubt, worth saying again. Check it out in person even if it involves a plane flight. 300 bucks to save 12k. Good deal.

I've been burned myself on an occasion or two and I'll never buy another machine without laying hands on it and watching it cut parts maybe pull a way cover or two. Takes 15 min and may save you a ton of grief.

I have an 88 VMC40 and it runs like a champ.

Newer controller (1997?) and I can DNC at 115kbaud. You should be at least at 19.2k for a 1990 and probably much faster than that.

A machine as you describe would bring $12-15k assuming it's decent and tests OK under power.