586,822 active members*
3,171 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Weird?

Question Weird?

Can anyone explain an interesting phenomenem (pardon my horrible spelling...LOL).
    One of my friends company have a mid 80's Takisawa CNC mill, with a 11M Fanuc control.
    Sometimes when he downloads (via RS 232) g-code to the machine the g-codes end up as if the control forgot to read the ";" at the end of the program lines....

When he shuts down and restarts the mill things come right sometimes not.

Klox
    *** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

Is there an EDM machine running? Unplug it. Then try it. I HATE those things. They broadcast an unbeliveable amount of "noise".
    Enough to scramble any com.
    "The source of expertise is not in the memorization of the minute details of a subject but in the thorough understanding of the fundamental concepts on which it is based." --author unknown

Yes a die sinker, but it wasn't running at that stage.......
    Could it be the fully automated plastic injection mould machines close by?
    Why do you "HATE" edm machines?

Klox
    *** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

I don't really hate edm in general. But I do hate our machine that is right in the middle of a cnc milling dept. Because of the nasty electrical disturbances it emits we need to keep it unpluged from our communication (dnc) setup. That machine, like all of them in the shop, is hardwired to the server where all programs are stored. If you were to try to run dnc or even send or recieve a program while that thing is running and connected, it scrambles the communication. IE your code comes out jibberish. Your program arrives made up of symbols ya can't even find in Windows character map. (Sound like your problem?) The noise is so intense it even jumps any switch we've tried. Ever try to listen to a radio or use a two way or cell phone while near one? It should be required by law to shut them down if there were ever any construction blasting going on nearby. Those machines need to be in their own shielded room. Like a lead and concrete closet
    "The source of expertise is not in the memorization of the minute details of a subject but in the thorough understanding of the fundamental concepts on which it is based." --author unknown

I know at the shop I'm at the EDMs are wreaking havoc,
    Along with the dinosaurs who refuse to crank up the baud
    rate for fear the machine will miss something going so fast.
    I work with some knuckleheads. Figured I'd throw that
    out there.

PEACE

LoL, Hardmill.

Welding can cause it also.

Make sure your RS-232's are shielded, and NOT running along side any live conduit. Try to refrain from keeping it 'coiled'.

Lots of things cause RFI.

Are you using flow control?

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)