586,599 active members*
3,685 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Got a jump start on building materials for my CNC Router

Got a jump start on building materials for my CNC Router

Hi Guys,

Its been a while since I last posted. I have been trying to gather materials and just hit the jackpot. My borther-in-law is a welder and managed to gather a bunch of spare parts for me to use on my CNC router project. I've included pics of just a fraction of what he rounded up for me.

I'm considering using the 3/8" plate for the gantry sides and the large block of extruded aluminum as the cross piece for the gantry which will hold the Z axis and router. I think it will be pretty darn rigid. I'm considering holding out for some 1/2" plate but the 3/8" may be rigid enough with that extruded aluminum. I have a bunch more of the same coming.

I plan on mounting a 1.5hp router and wish to mill 3/4" mdf and possibly some aluminum once in a while. Do you guys think the 3/8" plate aluminum will be rigid enough for the gantry sides? I can reinforce it by doubling up or bracing. I believe the 8" wide by 3.5" thick cross piece should stiffen it up quite a bit. Opinions?

I'm excited!

Darren

Santa came early for you!

How many machines are you planning to build anyway;^)

bb99
    There are 10 types of people in this world; those that understand binary and those that don't.

Yup, Santa sure came early. I plan on building just one but could use the left overs for building jigs for my woodworking!

I'm trying to build as stout a machine as I can. I want to overbuild if possible so I'm thinking the 3/8" aluminum might be a bit flimsy for the gantry sides.... I'd love to go 1" but am not sure I'll have large enough pieces.

Darren

3/8" is fine, especially if you make the gantry sides in a "T" or "L" configuration. I used 1/2" flat plate, and it can flex a little under heavy load. I may add another piece sometime perp. to the gantry side plates.

Eric
    I wish it wouldn't crash.