Hi,

I'm experiencing some bad "fuzzing" (roughness) when doing 2D profile cutting and need some advise.

Here's a run down on my setup and settings...

CNC: Probotix Fireball V90 - probostep motor upgrade, anti backlash nuts x/y drive nuts, 40V power supply upgrade, CNC USB software
Router: DeWalt DWP611 router
Collet: Precise Bits Dewalt 611 Precision-Grade Collet
Milling bit: Precise Bits - 1/8 in. dia. DeepReach 2-flute Fish-tail End-mill, 1.125 in. max DOC, 3.0 in. OAL (solid submicrograin carbide)
Dust collection: 1 HP Central Machinery (Harbor Freight) dust collector
Software settings: Pass depth 0.0625 in, feed rate 40 IPM, plunge rate 10 IPM
Router RPM: Appoximately 18-20k (setting 5 on the router, out of 6 speeds)
Wood: 13/16ths Poplar and Soft Maple

I am cutting the wood all the way through and leaving 4 thin tabs (one on each side) of the designs I am cutting. I started with poplar and then heard maple doesn't "fuzz" like poplar and has a tighter grain, so I tried some soft maple, but then experienced the same results. I've also tried changing the router RPM and feed rate with the same results.

I am wondering if I need to try some "rock" maple (hard maple) or another type of wood? Perhaps it is still possible to mill poplar or soft maple with different settings and not experience fuzzing? I have also questioned changing to a 2 HP dust collector as I noticed my 1 HP dust collector doesn't quite get all of the dust and chips. Could it be dust and chips left in the path of the passes that is causing the bit to mill like this? Am I using the wrong type of bit for the type of wood and cutting I am doing? Any other ideas for what could be causing this? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'm not sure what to try next.

I'm also attaching some photos so you can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks!

Dustin

Attachment 223520

Attachment 223522

Attachment 223524

Attachment 223526

Attachment 223528