586,075 active members*
4,224 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Gingery lathe largest

I'm planning to someday make my own G-Lathe using the lost foam method of casting. I all so want to make it out of Brass rather than Aluminum. I wanted Brass cause it is heavier and harder. I was wondering what is the largest size (ie length between centers and length across bed) anyone has made. I also want to carve in some important info about feeds and speeds depending on materials. So any thoughts and or help will be very much appreciated. Thanks for looking and any help.

Just buy a lathe and save yourself some money.

I've been asked, or should I say told, that by many people including my instructor at school. Yeah it would be easier,faster, and maybe even cheaper but that is not the point. One of my best friends spent years trying to get me to learn to be a machinist and I kept blowing him off. He finally got me to take a free night time intro class, and even though the class project was a simple automotive pulley remover, the feeling of accomplishment and knowing that I made this tool is hard to describe. And as I found out later my father started out as a machinist and both my grandfathers spent their whole lives as machinists. Part of this undertaking is for that feeling of accomplishment again but I also want to make it "look good" like tools were back in the day. If you look at some of the "old school" machines they look as much like art as they were functional. Also the idea is to make it to my specifications. That's why I posted my question here, I hoped that those out there that had made one themselves could offer their personal insight and suggestions and maybe even get them to post pictures of what they made. I myself intend to try and post pictures as I go.

I hope that explains why build over buy and thank you for taking the time to read and respond.

Building a gingery is an excellent way to learn a lot. If you read and use his books as "process" and not just "how to" you can gain a great perspective about yourself ans life.
    As far as size, the basic Gingery designs are not bad, just limited for the book series. If I were to start another G-lathe I would use 1/2 by 6 for the bed ways, then bolt them to a piece of 4 x 4 or 4 x 6 by 1/4 wall rectangle tube. This should give a good ridged bed for 36, 48, or even 60 inches, upsize headstock, tail stock and other parts accordingly. With his system you can build anything you want- you are limited by planning and especially THINKING. The PROCESS works for anything.
    Dave