586,770 active members*
8,997 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > New VF4, 20 or 30 hp spindle????

New VF4, 20 or 30 hp spindle????

Just had my new VF4 delivered. Website says its a 30hp max rating, so I was expecting a 40hp vector drive. . Vector drive in the back says 20hp. Am I missing something here?? My newish St30 has a 30hp spindle, with a 40hp vector drive. I know haas only has a 20 and a 40 drive. Waiting on a call back from our HFO, but thought I would ask here also.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by gixxergary View Post
    Vector drive in the back says 20hp.
    Just see if they can send you a different sticker that says 30 horsepower

It's "haaspower" that they rate them by anyway...
    Tim

Imagine my excitement to finally get a response to a serious question on the forum, only to read that. Good thing the emocons were in there, or that would have been a complete waste of time to read.

You do realize that Haas has a pretty strange way of rating their power right? The machines are rated differently than every other machine on the market which is why I responded with a more tongue in cheek reply - no matter what they tell you it won't transform into a comparable real horsepower number to another builder.

I think you bought the wrong machine if horsepower is your main concern.

Google "Haaspower" - you may get a real answer to your question. My Haas mill is 30 haaspower. It isn't nearly the same as my Mazak 30 horsepower. Not complaining, just stating fact.

Have fun with the new toy though! Post up some pics!:cheers:
    Tim

power limitations nonwithstanding, it does seem kinda odd that you have a 20HP vector drive in that machine. My 2012 superspeed mill has a sticker rating of 30HP, with a 40HP vector drive in the cabinet. I wonder if the technology drastically changed since that time...

I run a 2008 Haas VF-3 cat 50 with 2-speed grear box with a 30 HP spindle and it has a 40 HP Vector drive sticker on it. I would call the HFO and find out what's going on.