586,903 active members*
2,735 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: AB servos

AB servos

Ok my Allen Bradley contact finally pulled through for me and got me four almost new Bulletin 1326 DC servo motors. The Servos have military style connectors, I have all the wiring harnesses for them, and they are huge . I want to use them, not only because I have them, but they are a lot more efficient than stepper motors. I am making a homebuilt desktop sized machine ( about 30 x 40 inches) and i am really going to have to do some retro-fitting to get these puppies to work. I'll give you the stats:

Current: 5.5 A continuous, 30 A peak.
    Torque stall: 3.1 lb-in
    Max Speed: 5000 RPM
    KE 7.4 v/k rpm
    Tachometer 7 v/k rpm
    Encoder 1000 PPR

The encoder is the AB 845P series integrated optical encoder, 100 PPR, and it has like 9 wires going out of it. Could someone please explain what these wires do. I looked at the data sheet, and it is just all greek to me.

I am pretty new to this stuff, and not even out of high school yet. I want my machine that I am working on with a friend to be able to do PCB work, but I also want to do a lot of other simple engraving and etching, maybe go on to some 3d cad stuff later.

I don't know what the tachometer does, someone elaborate. I took apart the motor and found what looked like a regular commutator with two brushes, and then there was like a super fine comutator with a lot of contacts and four brushes. I'm guessing the latter is the tachometer.

Could the Gecko 320 Servo Drive drive these? If not, what would?

If you do a Google for incremental encoder you will find lots of explanations of the different outputs.
    you will have.
    +vdc
    Common
    Channel A
    Ch A\ (inverse of A)
    Ch B
    CH B\
    CH Z Marker
    CH Z\
    Shield
    The details are here of the encoder.
    http://www.ab.com/catalogs/c114/7enc/702325.pdf
    With modern amplifiers, you will not need the tachometer as drives are used in the Torque mode of operation, the older style used Velocity loop which required tach feedback.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Saweet, so i could use these?