586,807 active members*
8,122 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

General Computer Issue/Question

Lately I've been getting a lot of "redirects" when I try to go from a CNC Zone.com page to the linking page.

I get sent off to new search engines that then try to hijack my home page when I click "back".

I have also been sent to goodness knows where else.

I've been seeing similar redirect/hijack attempts when I did some Google's.

It may take as many 4 tries to get past the redirect/hijack and sometimes it can't be done unless you paste in the link.

Had quite a few problems with this while trying to get to AjaxCnC.com from Google.

I do have a cookie wall and a firewall (Zone Alarm) and a popup blocker running....

Anybody know the cause and better yet, the remedy????

I'd run a combination of virus and adware removal programs.

AVG virus removal
    CWshredder
    LavaSoft Adaware

all free downloads.

Karl

If you're using IE, switch to Firefox. I've seen IE hacked so badly it was unuseable (unless you actually wanted to go to the places it was taking you). Very hard (or impossible) to fix, too. Firefox seems to make all those types of problems non existant.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I agree with ger21 firefox while having some very minor issues (useually fixed within a couple of days to a week) is vastly superior to IE.

I had to stop using Ie. due to popups and redirects, and I had every conceivable addblocker and popupblocker and virus scanner.

This is intentional from microsoft IMO as they probably get some kickback from these vulnerabilities being left open. Very short sighted on MS's part, my brother who is now retired was one of their top execs and he uses firefox!
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

I had something similar many months ago and found I had somehow picked up a trojan; a very well hidden one. I don't have a firewall but I do have popup blocking and virus protection. Several weeks after I had started seeing the redirects my virus program suddenly told me I had trojan Vundo but it could not do anything about it. I took the PC in to a local geek place and they fixed it. The explanation they gave is that the trojan is very subtle and can evade the virus searches, however one thing the trojan does is constantly write to a dll file that it creates and as this file gets bigger and bigger it becomes more difficult to hide. If you do not do anything eventually your system cludges up because all it is doing is reading and writing to this file.

Open Windows Task Manager on the Performance tab and see if your cpu is running constantly if it is you likely have something in there.