587,002 active members*
2,697 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > large diameter end mills??

large diameter end mills??

Searched the forums, but couldn't find anything.

I am looking for large diameter end mills. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 2" through 3". Is this possible? I assume I'll have to get them custom made. Any help would be appreciated.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/N2DRVSH?PMSECT=717

They are standard shelf items at MSC Supply!

http://www.mcmaster.com/
    www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

the size you are looking for are also can be insert type cutters which can save in long run with regrind cost and loss of tool dia and lenght

Thanks guys. I don't know how I overlooked MSC. Anyway, I'm going to be coping large tubing with these things so the indexed versions probably won't be needed.

why not look at a shell mill if your looking to just form end

Shell mill, annular cutter or a hole saw.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

For large diameter endmills go to eEndmills.com and fill out online request form or fax/email details...Steve L.

I'll look into your suggestions. We already have hole saws, but they just aren't working out as well as we would like. Some of the parts that we are coping are solid machined pieces and some are long as well. We are dedicating a horizontal mill with a vised jig to run the parts so that is why I would like an end mill or some variation. I am hoping to get a more precise and cleaner cut with the mill setup. Thanks to everyone for helping out.

Cutters

I use milling cutters for coping tubing from 1-2". One thing you should seriously consider is using roughing end mills. They reduce chatter and the tendency to grab tremendously. Finish quality is more than sufficient for tig welded joints.